Monitors Question on Monitor Refresh Rates

The 125fps thing is an isolated case afaik, only happens in q3a.

But the differences in mouse responsiveness depending on resolution (even when framerates are very high) happens with all the games.
Or could be nothing more than placebo.

so on that part whats the max a lcd can give refresh rate and a monitor also r the laptop lcds also of the same quality as desktops

In my earlier post, i had written about refresh rate as pertaining to CRTs.
As LCDs are gaining popularity (as evinced by vicky's post), it is important to understand refresh rates as pertaining to LCDs:

LCD technology differs at a fundamental level from CRT technology.
While pixels on CRTs need to be continuously refreshed to maintain a constant picture, LCD pixels need only to be set initially - they will retain their state (and hence the overall picture) until the pixels are changed.
Effectively, an LCD will maintain a constant picture display with a 0 Hz refresh rate.

The maximum number of different frames an LCD can display per second - it's refresh rate - depends on how quickly the LCD display can change the value of it's pixels, thereby displaying a new frame. This is refered to as the response time.

Everyone knows that the lower the response time of an LCD, the better it is for gaming/movies/other apps involving a display of motion. The standard explanation is that lower response times eliminate "ghosting" - pixels which are unable to change quick enough to match the front buffer contents.

What a lot of people don't realise, is that response time is inversly proportional to refresh rate. A low response time increases the number of frames which can be displayed.

Converting response time into refresh rate involves taking the inverse of the reponse time.
A simple calculation yields the following results:

16 ms >> 62.50 Hz
12 ms >> 83.33 Hz
10 ms >> 100.0 Hz
8 ms >> 125.00 Hz
6 ms >> 166.67 Hz
4 ms >> 250.00 Hz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dependent on - (a) LCD display response time
(b) Video card

Independent of - (a) Game engine/Application
(b) Video settings within the game/application
hmm...
a 4ms LCD + card capable of supporting 250Hz = 250 visible frames!! :hap2:
@mods - plz consider merging this with my previous post in this thread :)

r the laptop lcds also of the same quality as desktops

The quality would depend on the manufacturer and technical specs of the display.
Im not aware of any major difference b/w lappy LCD and desktop LCDs.
p'raps da lappy LCDs r made lighter?? :p

Ein said:
The quality would depend on the manufacturer and technical specs of the display.
Im not aware of any major difference b/w lappy LCD and desktop LCDs.
p'raps da lappy LCDs r made lighter?? :p
well then perhaps i have a 5ms lcd on my laptop as its max refresh rate goes to
about 200hz and its got a m6 version 32 mb graphic ati chipset (dunno which is the exact name of the ati mobility chipset though, will have to install everest for that)

200Hz is a sweet number!! Which lappy is it??

It's probably a 4ms LCD, with ur gfx soln. unable to support better refreshes.

Also, Windows does not always show the perfect refresh rate, esp. with generic monitor drivers; for eg. my LCD is has a 14ms rated response time (allowing a refresh rate of 71.43Hz), yet windows shows that i can take it upto 75Hz.

Same thing here...
My crt doesn't officially support 72hz at 1280x960, yet with xp's generic monitor drivers it does and is working perfectly without problems since months.

Back