Car & Bike Questions before selling my car

pauldmps

Skilled
I am posting here for tips because TeamBHP forum won't let me in even after multiple attempts of registering (it seems they want a very creative essay-writing skill, which I am not good at).

I have a 2018 Baleno Alpha petrol (manual) 12000kms on odometer. As I am moving to Europe for work, I wanted to sell my car.

The issue is that over the year, it picked up multiple small scratches and dents which were too insignificant to fix at that time, especially with Covid, I didn't wanted to leave the car at the workshop for multiple days and use public transport.

So I have couple of questions:

1. Is it better that I get these defects repaired out of pocket or should I just let the next buyer take care of it (and deduct the charges from the price)?
2. I really want to get it sold quickly so I was thinking of using a 3rd party like cars24, car wale, old autos etc. Is it safe and do you think the prices they offer is fair for the convenience?

1. you will not recover the cost you made for fixing the car. sell it as is
2. you will get a lower price but it is convenient. only you can decide if the tradeoff for lower price and convenience is worth it.

Team bhp has a classifieds panel and registration isnt necessary

Sell as it is and personally I used cars24 for the convenience and no second thought about it.
How was experience with cars24? Was their quote reasonable/similar to market price? How was the paper work experience? Any issues or hassles?
Thanks!

If possible to get the repairs done under insurance, then only go ahead with the repairs. Since NCB won't be relevant to either you or the buyer, do get the work done under insurance if you can.

How much you willing to sell it for?
Better sell directly to someone in need..looking for a used car. This way you will enjoy the entire amount without compromising on cars24 type middleman fess etc.

Last edited:
1. you will not recover the cost you made for fixing the car. sell it as is
Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know.

2. you will get a lower price but it is convenient. only you can decide if the tradeoff for lower price and convenience is worth it.
It is. I don't have the time or patience to deal with haggling and unsolicited calls / scams.

If possible to get the repairs done under insurance, then only go ahead with the repairs. Since NCB won't be relevant to either you or the buyer, do get the work done under insurance if you can.
The problem is that the damages are at different places and I don't think insurance will approve all of them at one go. Let me see which ones I can get done.
How was experience with cars24? Was their quote reasonable/similar to market price? How was the paper work experience? Any issues or hassles?
Thanks!
I checked on the websites and I got quotes of about 7.6L. I paid 9.15L on road for the vehicle in 2018. I think its reasonable for the convenience.

I checked on the websites and I got quotes of about 7.6L. I paid 9.15L on road for the vehicle in 2018. I think its reasonable for the convenience.
There is a serious demand for used cars now as lot of people are shunning public transport. You will get good resale value, 1.5L hit for 3 years is not bad at all.

Thanks!
For me, it was good only. Of course what the website quote is way higher than what i got finally, but then i was prepared for that :). I did not want to deal with individual, especially due to paper work involved. Cars24 was like, handover the car and 30 mins, money in the account and they take care the paper work, also provide insurance for 10L coverage, incase anything happened to the car during transfer period. Due to pandemic, it took almost 6 months for the name transfer.

If you are selling to individuals, the outlook will hold significance and many causal users wont like it taking it to painting or tinkering shop immediately. A 10k job may reduce the sale value by 50k if it's to direct individuals. That is why, the resale dealers wax it hard and keep it shiny to attract ignorant buyers.

To whomever you sell, ensure 100% that name transfer is done immediately. No contract or agreement will save you incase of mishap. It's the owner on RC who needs to appear in police station in case of accidents. Better, arrange an agent, get the name transfer done by yourself and then handover the RC.

Yes these car outlets are pretty convenient, but they have almost broken the backbone of a lot of small used car businesses.
My father is currently in this business from last 2 decades but from last few years most of the used cars are being bought up by these companies.
Demand has skyrocketed for CNG cars but most of the cars are going to such dealerships.

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know.

It is. I don't have the time or patience to deal with haggling and unsolicited calls / scams.

The problem is that the damages are at different places and I don't think insurance will approve all of them at one go. Let me see which ones I can get done.

I think the quote you got on website will be more than what you'll get eventually.

however after dealing with assholes on olx, I sold my dads swift on car24 and it was worth the hit I took compared to olx

Back