OC & Modding Quick Chill : AMD Phenom II X4 965 + Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P

Harshal

Skilled
Quick Chill : AMD Phenom II X4 965 + Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
IMG_2605.JPG
I hope some of you have already read my take on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P.
For those who haven’t – http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/quick-spin-amd-phenom-ii-x4-147125.html
The whole event of getting the requisite hardware, the stock and OC sessions on air had been so erratic and unpredictable that an LN2 session with the same seemed highly improbable, given the few days I was allowed to keep the chip.

Add to that, prior commitments at work and at home too due to the festive season and a sudden unavailability of space conducive for a proper setup, the improbability seemed more like impossibility.

And without some extreme testing, the whole point of me requesting for the same seemed futile.
But miracles do happen and a kind-hearted "elf" heard my tales and summoned a "fairy godmother" who waved her magic wand and the doors to a lovely place were opened for what can be termed an extremely unnerving but equally eventful and fun session.

This is not a mere narration of just another of my LN2 sessions.

This is a fairy tale of how, inspite of all odds, something seemingly impossible becomes possible.

"So the day for the LN2 session is set and I have been up all night prepping up the stuff.

A very late night takes its toll and I have woken up late.

A quick shower and am off on my way to the venue.

After some run-in with Mumbai traffic and some location hunting, I am here at my gracious host’s home- my impromptu test lab for a day.
But the LN2 is not here yet.

So I get busy settling down and by the time the LN2 dewars arrive, half a day has passed by.

And I have forgotten to carry my keyboard and my host has a huge lineup of USB wireless ones that just won’t let me do anything.

So off he goes to buy a new keyboard while I have to tolerate an endless loop of reboots and have to keep the LN2 flowing just to keep the temperature in check to prevent condensation.
I guess some things are beyond the control of even elves and fairy godmothers.

eg. human errors, stupidity, etc.

So the brand new PS/2 keyboard arrives and finally we are off the mark.

These X4 chips are said to have no cold bugs.

Yet, considering my ongoing not-so-lucky phase, I decide to play it safe and start with the pot half full.

As I proceed further, steadily but a bit overcautiously, I take the temps lower and lower.

Overcautious as I really don’t want any mishaps with a retail board, that involves a bit of unlearning and a bit of learning some new moves.

The RAM kits at my disposal were bought last year and acting not so friendly with the AMD setup now.

Also seems like something, maybe the chill and some last minute additional paper towel tucking, has caused the temperature probe to dislodge a bit.

Readings seem a bit off for sure.

As the digital thermometer reads -140C, mostly -160C odd in real, ___

I mean it, ___

At around an indicated -140C, the whole setup is seemingly dead.
As a cold shiver runs down my neck, I think what the heck died- mobo, cpu or RAM?
Never have I encountered such a situation in all my LN2 sessions till date.

And as the rig lies seemingly dead, the temps keep climbing lower and now I have to get it up again, hoping it’s a (non-existent) cold bug or something.

And that’s going to be risky as well as it means condensation in and around the cpu socket.
A few RAM changes and reboots later, the temperature is at an indicated -110C odd and still nothing.

And then my dear fairy godmother arrives with some refreshments and is saddened at the turn of events.

So she offers to pour the LN2 and a few attempts later, we have liftoff.

w00t- we are back in action!!
The chip still acts a bit off for some more time, the RAMs still disagreeing to agree with it..

And then like a phoenix rising from it’s ashes, the 965 is HOTT and scaling higher.

As the clocks climb higher and the temps climb lower and closer to peak, the pot is gobbling up LN2 like a bottomless pit.
A lot of time has gone by and it’s getting a bit late into the night to be still at my gracious host’s place.

The whole room is in a mess, we have gobbled up a lot of refreshments and it’s almost time to say 'thank you' and leave."
So in those final but precious moments, here is what i could achieve.
HW_1M.jpg
HW_32M.jpg
HW_wPrime.jpg
CPUZ_Val.png
Mandatory Iced Pics :D

I am sure she poured some magic potion into that pot when she poured the LN2.

With an amazing elf for a friend, a fairy godmother and God by your side, nothing is impossible.
IMG_2643.JPG

P.S. Many thanks to my friends Rishi, Shatul and Sharan.

omg awesome score harshal sir oc 6.2 GHZ using LN2 cooler

keep up Indian people should be pround of the country :)

that's awesome man.

6.2 on LN2 was it the best you could achieve or you were not giving it your best & playing a bit on the safe side.

coz i really think you could 6.8 easily.

will wait for your next thread with 6.8 or more on LN2.

Thanks all of you!!
Lets see how things go... may be a retail X2 550 BE showdown next since this 965 is gone back to AMD. Also some better loving on Memory for that final WR run!! :p
@ Appo, can't reveal the identity man. But yeah thats a Discus Aquarium :D
@ Amey, thanks bro... had fun with no cold bugs but strangly it got shady once when it just wont boot @ -140c... I love that part when I think I finally killed something during LN2 and it comes back with out even clearing CMOS :p

apollyon said:
is that rishi's house?

Nah, he lives in 1/5th that area, which has transformed into a junkyard now. :no:

That's a very good friend's bedroom, who is an even nicer human being.

The lady in the pic is his mom and she knows what overclocking is and how to overclock too. :eek:hyeah:

Amazingly warm, loving and down-to-earth people. :hap2:

Ohh- he knows about you and your fishies and huge aquariums too. :p

So expect a visitor. :D

The other tank at the side, no pics iirc, had 2 big discus fish in isolation- for *ahem*.:p

I am sure all those fishies must have 'discus'sed the whole chaos for a few more days. :lol: :ashamed:

Well i'm new to this forum and i'm amazed at things TE members do...

Never ever in my dream I could have imagined that something like this would happen in INDIA!!!!!

Well i have few questions for which i would be very pleased if someone answers.

1.What's your job? I mean do you all do this for living or what??

2.How often do you do this???

3.Who pays for these stuffs?? I mean latest mobo,proccy,etc??

4.Where do you get this rare stuffs? Like Liquid Nitrogen,the casing on CPU....

5.Don't u worry of the product getting damaged??

6.Do you invite other TE members during your sessions??

7.And finally don't your family members think that you are acting weird when doing this??

(Cos my family members shout at me even if i open my cabinet for cleaning it!!!!)

iprincepankaj said:
Well i'm new to this forum and i'm amazed at things TE members do...

Never ever in my dream I could have imagined that something like this would happen in INDIA!!!!!

Well i have few questions for which i would be very pleased if someone answers.

1.What's your job? I mean do you all do this for living or what??

2.How often do you do this???

3.Who pays for these stuffs?? I mean latest mobo,proccy,etc??

4.Where do you get this rare stuffs? Like Liquid Nitrogen,the casing on CPU....

5.Don't u worry of the product getting damaged??

6.Do you invite other TE members during your sessions??

7.And finally don't your family members think that you are acting weird when doing this??

(Cos my family members shout at me even if i open my cabinet for cleaning it!!!!)
1, I am into my family business and I do extreme benching purely as a hobby!

2, I did this as often as my other work commitments allowed me to and that was atleast twice a month. I took a small break and now I am back at it agian.

3, It's a very expensive hobby and one has to pay for everything which invloves a lot of other things apart from basic hardware. But some manufactrurers have been kind enough to send the stuff for testing purposes.

4, The "casing" is called LN2 container OR a LN2 pot. You may google for more info on same. The container I use is my own design and was machined at a local CNC machining shop.

5, Honestly anyone and everyone will. And should. That's why there is the need to know everything before taking the plunge. That also makes it a very risky and a very expensive hobby.

6, I usually do this at my own convenience and prefer isolation. But sometimes good friends do join and obeserve/help.

7, Its an individual thing and I honestly dont think I can reply for all. But I have been lucky enough to have nice parents who understand that this is just my hobby/passion and dont mind it as long as I dont compromise with my work and other responsibilities.

Thanks Harshal.:hap2:

Harshal said:
But some manufactrurers have been kind enough to send the stuff for testing purposes.

By the way how do you get the stuff cos i'm too interested in benchmarking kinda thing..

I too try to mod my pc with whatever little resources i have with me.

But don't have that much money to buy it all brand new!

By the way whose that guy in the pic (yellow shirt) is that you??

Will you do Unlocked Phenom II 550 BE next time cos i can't find a review of it anywhere.

Dark Star said:
Awesome run harshal da :)
No 3dmark run :( ?
The thing is it did 5.62G 3DM06 CPU test... But I was not happy with that so I honestly left 3D and concentrated on other benchmarks... not to mention the shortage of time.
@ iprincepankaj,

1, you can try by benchmakring/testing what you have with you. Thats the easiest way to get noticed. ;)

2, the guy in Yellow shirt is the awesome dude popularly known as "BikeINSTEIN".

Woah this is some crazy stuff...and I thought I was spending too much just buying a new quad proccy. Now I don't feel as crazy keeping my hobby gaming alive...lol.

very very impressive!!!

how about trying to get to 7 ghz next time???

btw the hardware you conducted your LN adventure was your own and is it still usable now ???

sunny27 said:
very very impressive!!!
how about trying to get to 7 ghz next time???
btw the hardware you conducted your LN adventure was your own and is it still usable now ???
Board came to me from Gigabyte and CPU is from AMD India.
Yes, I am able to use the hardware currently... but as I have seen and heard AMD chips do get degraded after extreme overclocking so I am not sure if it will do 6.4GHz. Also for 7GHz I will be required to use Liquid Helium (boiling point @ −268.93 °C) and crazzy expensive :D

Back