Quick Review: Monster Turbine

First off thanks to haraakiri for arranging this loaner.

Introduction

I was always intrigued by these Monster Turbine series IEMs, which unlike their ridiculously overpriced cables (or their fugly associations with celebrities like Justina) are well received in head-fi. So when an opportunity presented itself to try out Monster Turbine, their most basic version of the series, I accepted gladly. Little did I know that within that time constraint, I'd work on my monstrously (pun intended) long GR07 review or that most of my $50-100 IEMs would be out on loan. Instead of keeping the listening pleasure to myself, I decided to let others know with whatever limited resources (time, comparison IEMs) I've got. So, this is not a complete review, but just a quick listening impression based on the few hours I've managed to spend time with MT.

Build Quality, Isolation, Microphonics

At the MSRP of $180, I'd have expected a fittingly great build quality. The rubber cable is only thicker than the one on RE0 and terminated in a straight plug. The cable has some memory, but largely tangle-free. The strain reliefs and the Y-Split feel sturdy enough, but whether it is enough to stand serious abuse is to be doubted. Both with respect to the thickness of cable and the beefed up strain reliefs, the $70 Eterna V1 beats it easily. The cable also lacks a chin slider. Since I've only received the IEM, I do not know if the accessories included a shirt clip or not, so I cannot put down Monster for the lack of chin slider yet.

The metal housings with their unique cuts which form the shape of a turbine (hence the name, Turbine, ha!) are well built. They are slightly heavier, which shows off even more in relation to the thin cable.There are no Left and Right ear markings, but just a blue ring and a red ring - nice touch.

Fit, Isolation and Comfort

MT is a little fit dependent. I tried various tips, but without the proper insertion depth, bass seemed a little inadequate. I finally settled on the fake Klipsch gel tips from LostEarBuds, which gave me a good fit, seal and isolation. But, it also gives me too tight a fit making removal a tad difficult. Isolation with these tips is very good. It did not block out all the noise and seal like as they say with a custom or an Etymotic, but somewhat better than many I have used.

When worn over the ear, the weight of the shells is not felt as much. I can extrapolate and say, I never felt the IEMs in my ears, but I did not use it for more than a couple of hours at a stretch and not more than a week at the time of writing this quick review, so not sure how it fares with extended hours of use.
Sound Signature

MT turned out to be one of the rare IEMs that got me excited of late. It was not because they "punch above their weight range" and beat all $200 IEMs out there, that would be utter non-sense. That has a lot to do with my very low expectations. I expected nothing but a slightly refined bass monster. Let me explain why MT turned out to be better than expected.

I had imagined that MT's bass would be high on quantity, but low on quality, which turned out to be all wrong. Instead if I have to put a word to it, I'll say "pleasant". It's a good, quick, textured bass which extends well below with no mid range bleed. The bass is fairly tight, punchy and hits deep. The bass quantity is not huge, at least not to the levels I imagined. It has less bass quantity when compared to Eterna and FX700. The mid-bass quantity is in fact less than Xears TD100-II, the 'bass light' of the TD series. That is not to say that MT lacks bass, but it's focus is more on attaining a good balance between quality and quantity without being a boombox like MEElectronics M31. It's slightly thick, guess I'd have to use the description "not so micro-detailed" with respect to bass details.

The mid range is neither forward nor recessed, but placed slightly behind. Due to the lack of bass bleed, the mid range remains largely neutral in tone with a bit of lushness. It also remains fairly smooth without a hint of sibilance.

The treble has good amount of sparkle and detail. While it would not match treble delights like RE0/ZERO or DBA-02 in clarity, crispness, extension and detail, it betters Eterna quite easily in this department.

The one clincher in favor of MT over Eterna and Xears is the snappiness. Most bass heavy IEMs tend to sound thick and sluggish, but not MT. Rather than sacrificing treble like Eterna, MT sounds very well balanced.

But, it's normal sound stage would lose out to the wide space portrayed by Eterna. MT's sound stage is only about the size of RE-ZERO in depth and width. Imaging and separation are good. MT has a slightly darker tonality to the overall sound and has slightly less clarity for my liking.

Conclusion

In the end, defying my expectations of yet another bass-head junk, MT ended up being a snappy, balanced IEM and one of the rare ones that rose above my expectations. But then, it's easy to jump over a brick than a 6ft wall (my usual expectation levels, that is).

Should you consider it? Well at the steep MSRP, I definitely won't. At the current Amazon price of $100 or so, it is a decent choice for those who like bass and at the same time, don't want to sacrifice other ranges. I'd say that at about $80 and below, it becomes a good value for money IEM. I have noticed that it goes even below that ($60, I think) in Amazon deals. At those prices, it's hard to think of IEMs that are as much a bargain as MT (as long as somebody can bring it here).

Would I buy it? Based on my experience with MT, I might go for MTPG or Miles Davis should time, price, bank balance and mood - all come together. For now, the loaner pair goes back and I move on to the next IEM.

Nice review esanthosh ! Cleared some of the myths/ imaginations I always had about MT . Would love to try it out sometime .

Yeah! It's nothing like I imagined. I don't think it will come anywhere close to DDM, but quite a decent and nice IEM overall.

i tried to tell faheem that MTs are balanced , but he wont listen !! :O

at 4.7K ( amarbir had them at that price ) they were worth considering 3-4 months back .

great impressions santosh. :D

I wont listen because the reviews everywhere would say otherwise :p

Also I refrain from suggesting the IEMs I havent tried personally ;) .

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

I too was very impressed with MT's bass quality. Other than highs, I have no complaints against it. Thanks for another excellent review Santosh!

Neat ! So the MTs actually have nice bass ? Never thought that. :S

I am getting bored of the RE1s now after hearing the SM3s. Thankfully I am now flat out broke and I am saving up for a camera body upgrade so thankfully I have no spare money around to buy another IEM. :)

BF1983 said:
I am getting bored of the RE1s now after hearing the SM3s. Thankfully I am now flat out broke and I am saving up for a camera body upgrade so thankfully I have no spare money around to buy another IEM. :)

Do you want any loan? :p. How can you not buy SM3 v2 and buy a camera body upgrade instead? :mad:
Mephistopheles said:
Nice crisp review sire!

I'm looking for something with similar bass as you have described + mids and soundstage of RE262 :p

FX700 on EQ, all doors and windows closed would almost get you there, but not sure if you would be satisfied with vocals of FX700. Nothing else is as promising for your requirement. Perhaps Sony EX-600 / 1000? They do have wide sound stage, EX-600 is said to have forward mids, but I have to read some more reviews before I can be sure of them.

Oh! Post No. 1000..... Finally :D

^ That's one of the few IEMs I cannot part with. If something comes along which is better than FX700 (like CK10 is for DBA-02), then by all means :p

@m.khurana,

Any particular things you did not like about MT?

Great review as always. I was also in an impression that all Monster earphones have a very much overemphasized Bass. So I was never interested in any of them.

esanthosh said:
@m.khurana,

Any particular things you did not like about MT?
1.Out of 6 tips,none of them fitted well into my ears.
2.I didn't liked their heavy weight.
3.Every time I used it for more than 15 minutes,I started getting headache.

Thanks! That housing is indeed heavy. It didn't feel that heavy once inside my ear when I used an over the ear fit, but it's helpful for others to know your not so comforting experience with regular use.

I agree but I thought I will broke them while handling them.I feel that they are meant for people who could take adequate care of their IEM's

Still at $59 ,I couldn't have expected for something more.

That, I very much agree. The strain reliefs and the cable never give you the feeling that they could last abuse for too long. But, I've seen far worse :)

Back