R.I.P. Playstation 2

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
R.I.P. Playstation 2

What does a part time gamer, who has interest in only a couple of genres of gaming, and who doesn't want to spend too much on the latest and the best, do when he wants to sate his need for gaming?
Simple - He goes for the Plastation 2. (Many people disagree, but hear me out here)

While I agree that the PS2 has had a long and successful run, tell me, how many consoles match its functionality and huge library of games? And its cheap to boot!

So after Spacecreamer bought his PS2 and told me about it, I thought, "Hey! Lets get a PS2!" I got a great deal on ebay.com and nabbed a silver slim PS2 with bundle of games and accessories for quite cheap.

We both wanted some accessories for our newly acquired consoles, like Jewel memory cards and controllers. Most of the stuff we got off ebay.com and Amazon.com, but there was one elusive item that was just not available anywhere. It was an Emerald Green Jewel Memory card.

While we finally snagged the memory card on a well fought ebay auction, I stumbled upon a piece of disturbing news while on the hunt.

Sony has already stopped production, and will soon stop support for the console and its accessories. The sales reps over at BestBuy and GameStop told me this on many occasions. They clearly said that July onwards Sony will stop making new consoles, accessories and games for the Playstation 2.

So folks, what you see of the PS2 on the store shelfs now, are the last of its species. The accessories are being sold wholesale in the american market (I have this one from a good source too). Amazon and other leading online stores have the last stock coming in July and they hope that this news being leaked out slowly will catapult their sales figures into the clouds.

Other evidence, mostly speculative but quite directional, includes the recent spate of HD ports of PS2 classics coming to the PS3. Also if you search around the WWW, you will find search results pointing to breakthroughs in emulation, hardware ports and adapters etc. all pointing towards one inevitable fact - The PS2 is a dying breed.

I consider myself and my friend Spacescreamer lucky, that we heard about this news in time, and set up our collection of memory cards and controllers (all special collector's items of course). We are safe, but are you?

This article is a heartfelt expression of my love for the gaming platform and the hours of endless fun it has provided. I am sure hundreds of other people will surely agree with me. Although better, futuristic and more immersive alternatives are available for gaming, the Playstation 2 was, is and always will be a pioneer in video gaming, a one of its kind if you will, and one that will go out all guns blazing!

R.I.P. Playstation 2

Sony has not stopped PS2 production,

PS2 just outsold XBOX 360 in Q1 2010 this year

and sold a good 7million units last year

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Spacescreamer said:
I wish they had finished it with a bang. Atleast Should have got a good tekken out for the ps2.

But a total vfm console this one.
that wouldn't actually be good for the PS3 as SONY want people to buy the PS3 now not PS2

it was the same with PS1

Salutations to the most EPIC console ever in the history of gaming. At times I wish I had bought it when it had released, but then again, it was worth playing all those exclusive titles and then selling it off.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Sony has not stopped PS2 production,

PS2 just outsold XBOX 360 in Q1 2010 this year

and sold a good 7million units last year

Ah I see you are it in this thread as well. So much so that a moderator had to edit your post. Anyhow, this piece of information was disclosed to me by 6 different sales reps in various retail stores. How can you say for sure that Sony has, in fact, not stopped PS2 production. You seriously think console sales tell us with accuracy whether it has been discontinued? Again, get your facts straight before blabbing away to increase your post count. Next you will say that Microsoft has not stopped Xbox 360 production just because a) Xbox 360 S was launched and b) Old Xbox 360 sales went up.

phoenix844884 said:
Ah I see you are it in this thread as well. So much so that a moderator had to edit your post. Anyhow, this piece of information was disclosed to me by 6 different sales reps in various retail stores..

the sales rep know shit

there have been many issues with them

for example when NBA LIVE 2009 launched,all Gamestop stores were bashing it and recommending NBA 2K9,there were reports than 2K sports had paid them

then again KINECT demo people are reported to be bashing Wii

How can you say for sure that Sony has, in fact, not stopped PS2 production.You seriously think console sales tell us with accuracy whether it has been discontinued?.

cause they are still selling and SONY has 10 year plan so they atleast won't stop till MArch 2011

and even then if it selling why would they stop?

how the hell can you be so sure by just by the word of a foolish sales rep?

SONY has forecas of 6million PS2's to be sold this year

ALSO PS2 profit is key to SONY as PS3 has just started making profit

Again, get your facts straight before blabbing away to increase your post count..

you are asking me to get my facts straight when you just take a Sales rep's word and claim it as a fact........................lmao

and only fools like you will try to increase your post count

PS1 was discontinued in 2006

[/QUOTE]Next you will say that Microsoft has not stopped Xbox 360 production just because a) Xbox 360 S was launched and b) Old Xbox 360 sales went up.[/QUOTE]

first latter part of your statement is not making sense

and why would i say 360 production will be stopped??????????????????????????????

Back