Nysander

Recruit
My current specs:
Mobo: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: i5 3570k @ stock
RAM: GSkill Sniper 1600 2 x 4GB
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W
Hard drive: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD + Hitachi 500GB HDD

I plan to buy my first graphic card, a R9 280x for gaming. No plans to overclock. Had previously decided to go with the Sapphire Vapor-X or Toxic, but am worried that my PSU is 620W and both are power hungry.
Also, they require 2 x 8 pin connectors but the PSU has 6 + 8 pin ones. How safe is using adapters for this? Should I go for the ASUS DC2T, that supposedly has lesser power requirements and needs 6 + 8 pin connections?

1. Is there noticable performance difference between the Sapphire Vapor-X/Toxic and ASUS DC2T for gaming? Will the lower power ASUS run cooler too?
2. How risky would it be to buy the Toxic with respect to the PSU, adapter and temperatures?

I would say Asus just because it has 3 years warranty as opposed to Sapphire and Asus' ASS has supposedly improved(might not be as good as Sapphire's). In everything else, Toxic is better. Using adapters isn't really unsafe. Otherwise, manufacturers wouldn't have provided those adapters in the box.
All that said, if everything above is considered, Asus seems like more peace of mind.
BTW, how much more are you paying for the Toxic?

Bought My first ASUS - 270X few months back. It has better temperatures than what i expected. If that is a factor go for ASUS and also 3 yr warranty is gud. Service is always a gamble in India!

I am personally a fan of Asus and I've never used Sapphire but going by a bit of research, the Toxic blows away the Asus in terms of performance. It is known to give competition to even GTX 780 in some areas.

Your PSU can handle either of them easily wattage wise but I have no idea if using connectors would have any pitfall. Most experts maintain that it doesn't affect anything as long as the PSU can handle your GPU with respect to wattage and amperage. In your case, it can. If connectors could be a problem, then no GPU vendor would package them in considering they're risk averse. So I'd speculate there is no real risk in you using your setup with Toxic.

Also, check your cabinet size! Both of them are hugeee cards when compared to other variants of the same GPU. There are very good chances they wouldn't fit in your cabinet!

Last edited:
Back