Graphic Cards Radeon 6850 or GTX 460 for immediate purchase

Maestro

Adept
Hi...

I'm going to be purchasing a graphics card in the next two days. I have to choose among the following..

Card will be used mostly for gaming at the moment. HD media stuff might factor in a couple of months or so..

1. TE HIS 6850 deal @11k

2. MSI R6850-PM2D1GD5/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 @11.25k TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!MSI R6850-PM2D1GD5/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

3. Zotac GTX 460 @11.3k .:: Yantra Online ::.

I have a Corsair VX450 PSU. Hope it will be sufficient to power all of the above. Which one is the best among the above?
Last, since my budget was ~11-11.5k, and I'm reluctant to stretch it any further, there's also the following card. It's a bit too expensive for my pocket (buying Dell U2311H next month) but if there's a good case made for it, I might consider splurging out a bit more.

Zotac GTX 460 AMP @12.75k .:: Yantra Online ::.
I'm confused enough as it is. Help, please??

Cheers,
Maestro

I would say get the 460 AMP if you can , comes with heatsinks on the VRM already oced to a decent level and you should be able to push it more.

Buy HD6850... Suggesting u this coz HD6850 only requires one 6-pin PCI-E power connector which ur VX450 has... For GTX460 u need to upgrade ur PSU which i think u wudn't like to do coz GTX460 requires two PCI-E 6 pin power connectors... u can also use a GTX460 on a VX450 PSU but to do this u need to use molex to PCI-E convertor which will put a lot ov stress on other components... So a GTX460 on a VX450 is a straight no no from my side :)

Seiously OP is that ur current config mentioned in ur sig?..

both the cards would be definitely bottlenecked by that cpu.

Hades. said:
Buy HD6850... Suggesting u this coz HD6850 only requires one 6-pin PCI-E power connector which ur VX450 has... For GTX460 u need to upgrade ur PSU which i think u wudn't like to do coz GTX460 requires two PCI-E 6 pin power connectors...

Yeah. A new PSU is NOT on the cards..
DarkAngel said:
Errr.... As ur siggy says do u have a Intel E2160? Then that would be a severe bottle neck and a platform upgrade is recommended.

Upgrade is in the works. Will be moving to Sandy Bridge in a few months, or when prices fall. Current (local) rates are atrocious!!
WingZero said:
Seiously OP is that ur current config mentioned in ur sig?..
both the cards would be definitely bottlenecked by that cpu.
Yep. That's my current config. Been really starved for cash until recently, new pc wasn't high on the list of priorities. As mentioned above, will be upgrading soon.
Regarding the cpu bottleneck, since I'll be gaming at a very low resolution of 1280x1024 until February (at the very least) would it really be that much of an issue?

Cheers,
Maestro

Maestro said:
YUpgrade is in the works. Will be moving to Sandy Bridge in a few months, or when prices fall. Current (local) rates are atrocious!!

IMO first upgrade ur rig then buy a good graphic card ;)

BTW if u r gonna upgrade ur whole rig in the month of feb then i wud suggest u to hold on wid ur current rig a bit coz on 25th Jan GTX 560 is gonna launch...

Hades. said:
IMO first upgrade ur rig then buy a good graphic card ;)

BTW if u r gonna upgrade ur whole rig in the month of feb then i wud suggest u to hold on wid ur current rig a bit coz on 25th Jan GTX 560 is gonna launch...
Nope. Won't be upgrading the entire rig in Feb. It'll happen in steps. Current SB CPU/Mobo rates are way too high, so that's out of the question for now.

So it's either a GPU or a 23" monitor. The way I figure, if I buy the monitor first, I won't be able to play much of anything (with my current GPU). Hence I'm going for the graphics card first, the monitor next month, and SB when it's affordable.

As for the GTX 560, won't it be on par with the 6870 or 6950, and as such priced accordingly. I don't need something that powerful, nor can I spend that much on a graphics card. Plus, I'd probably have to upgrade the PSU as well!

OT: I see you have the Gamma as ur case. What's your opinion of it?

Do a complete upgrade.

If you don't have enough money, get a cheap AMD CPU + 5670. That will be better than the setup you have in mind.

If you plan to upgrade slowly, get a Core i5 + low end GPU and upgrade it later.

Maestro said:
Nope. Won't be upgrading the entire rig in Feb. It'll happen in steps. Current SB CPU/Mobo rates are way too high, so that's out of the question for now.

So it's either a GPU or a 23" monitor. The way I figure, if I buy the monitor first, I won't be able to play much of anything (with my current GPU). Hence I'm going for the graphics card first, the monitor next month, and SB when it's affordable.

As for the GTX 560, won't it be on par with the 6870 or 6950, and as such priced accordingly. I don't need something that powerful, nor can I spend that much on a graphics card. Plus, I'd probably have to upgrade the PSU as well!

OT: I see you have the Gamma as ur case. What's your opinion of it?
1. at that resolution you dont need 6850/gtx 460.

2. With your current cpu even if you go for high end monitor the cpu is going to bottleneck.

3. buy a 5670. That would serve you good for 1024 x 768 resolution and start saving for full upgrade later in Q2 '11.

Sorry if i am ruining you gpu plans but m skeptical about the psu you're using right now too. I am taking a guess its a generic one. That psu cannot suffice the power requirements of 6850/gtx 460.

Just my 2 cents :).

WingZero said:
[...]

Sorry if i am ruining you gpu plans but m skeptical about the psu you're using right now too. I am taking a guess its a generic one. [...]

why are you taking a guess when he mentions it clearly :p

Maestro said:
[...]

I have a Corsair VX450 PSU. [...]
I have two suggestions

1) sell everything and start afresh.

else 2) get a second hand entry level GPU at present and time your upgrades later.

_

Back