PC Peripherals RAM Buying help

src2206

Adept
Hello

I am planning to upgrade to Win 7 64bit. I have some doubts about the hardware as I intend to expand the RAM capacity.

I have the following motherboard: ASUS P5B-VM (ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P5B-VM). I already have three RAM modules installed (1 GB each, DDR2-667/PC25300). There are 4slots and each can take up to 2GB each, total 8GB. In the last slot, I am planning to add a 2GB RAM, but I have doubts about the following which unfortunately I could not clear from the supplied instruction manual of motherboard. Please help me on the following:

1. How can I find the detailed specification about my installed RAM from within the OS (Win XP Pro)?

2. The manual mentions that I can install varying memory sizes in slot, but what I am not clear about whether I can install varying type like DDR2 800/PC2-6400 (like this one: G.Skill NT DDR2 2 GB (1 x 2 GB) PC RAM (F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT) | Ram | Flipkart.com) with my existing modules. This module seems to have the Cas Latency as my existing ones 5-5-5-15.

3. The following is written in the manual as "Notes on Memory Limitations" which I could not understand. I am quoting the text as follows:

"Due to memory limitation, this motherboard can only support up to 8GB on the operating system listed below. You may install a maximum of 2 GB DIMMs on each slot, but only DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 2GB density modules are available for this configuration."

32- bit
64-bit
Windows[SUP]©[/SUP] 2000 Advanced Server
Windows[SUP]© [/SUP]XP Professional x64 Edition

Sorry, but I could not make anything out of it. Does it mean that I can not install a DDR2-800 RAM module with my existing DDR2-667 RAM modules?

Please help me on this.

Thank you

Back