RAM - Difference between Value & XMS3 For 3d Rendering

kidrow

Adept
Hi all, I'll be upgrading my rig soon, mainly for 3d rendering [3ds Max]. But I'm also on a tight budget, & hence every paisa saved counts.

I'll be upgrading to the AMD Athlon II X4 635 []Buy AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz Quad Core in Mumbai India, & the Asus M4A78LT-M LE [http://www.theitwares.com/asus-m4a78ltm-780l-micro-motherboard-p-496.html]. I was also considering the Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 motherboard []Buy Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 Motherboard in Mumbai India, given Gbyte's reputation for good after sales service. But I gave it up since it supports a max of 1333mhz ddr3 memory [?]. [The Asus board also mentions 1600mhz support but has O.C. written in brackets next to it. So I'm not sure what it's all about].

What bring me to this thread, is the new year deal by dvdstoredelhi in the dealers paradise section. He's offering the Corsair XMS3 4gb DDR3 1600mhz @ 2635/- shipped. [http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/new-year-special-corsair-xms3-4gb-181689.html]. mediahome is offering Corsair 2gb ddr3 @ 1125/- shipped. [http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/new-year-day-deals-181682.html#post1689167]. So that's 2250/- for 4gb.

Assuming [He hasn't put up any details] that mediahome is offering the value series, is it worth spending the 400/- extra on the XMS3. What benefits, if any, will the XMS3 hold over the Value series, given the config & the purpose.

Also, the XMS3 deal page seems to harp about how the RAM will benefit the core i5 & i7. So is it not suited for an AMD system?

Would also welcome suggestions as regards alternative PC components for the same price. Thanks for reading & your help.

Asus service seems to have improved lately. Since you are not adding a GPU i would suggest the Asus M4A78LT-M LE since it has better IGP(HD3000) and 760G chipset compared to Gigabyte GA-74GMT-S2 which has HD2100 and 740G chipset.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also if u want to save more bucks u can take a small gamble and get the AthlonII X3 440 ~ 3.3k. It has high probablity of unlocking into AthlonII X4 640( You have to just change an Bios option in the mobo and there are loads of guides for that or there is TE to help out :D)

The Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Stick sells for ~2.25k. Get this instead as ur mobo will have only 2 RAM slots. So if u get 2*2GB u will have to sell the RAM stick for upgrading. But with a 4GB stick add one more 4GB down the line when needed :)

DarkAngel said:
Asus service seems to have improved lately. Since you are not adding a GPU i would suggest the Asus M4A78LT-M LE since it has better IGP(HD3000) and 760G chipset compared to Gigabyte GA-74GMT-S2 which has HD2100 and 740G chipset.

Also if u want to save more bucks u can take a small gamble and get the AthlonII X3 440 ~ 3.3k. It has high probablity of unlocking into AthlonII X4 640( You have to just change an Bios option in the mobo and there are loads of guides for that or there is TE to help out :D)

The Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Stick sells for ~2.25k. Get this instead as ur mobo will have only 2 RAM slots. So if u get 2*2GB u will have to sell the RAM stick for upgrading. But with a 4GB stick add one more 4GB down the line when needed :)

Re Mobo: I already have a 8600gt. So would you still suggest the Asus mobo?

Re X3 440: How big a gamble are we talking about here? It's definitely food for thought. Will consider it for sure.
Does the option you talk about changing exist in the said mobos? & does this void warranty?

Re RAM: Wow, I didn't realise that the single 4gb stick is available at that price. That's the one I was considering earlier, but gave up on account of the price [I'd only checked online]. Where is it available at that price? I'm from Mumbai.
Coming back to the original question though, would you say that the XMS3 @1600mhz holds no great benefit in this case? [assuming ofc that I'm not concerned about blocking all of my RAM slots off].

Thanks!

If u have a GPU and there is a price difference of say Rs.250/300+ then i would stick to Gigabyte 740G. But if u decide to unlock then go for the Asus as it has better chipset. (Eventhough even the Gigabyte also supports unlocking)

This is the price in Chennai. So Mumbai price should be in line. RAM prices are falling like crazy and the websites would be outdated :p
http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

The porbability of unlock is about 7 or 8/10. AFAIK most members in the forum were able to unlock. So if u are cash strap its worth a try. Practically it doesnt void warranty for the proccy as once u remove it from the mobo the unlocked core locks back. For mobo they advertise it as a feature and no it wont practically void warranty.

Thanks for your replies, guys. Since abracadabra has mentioned the latest deal, I come back again to the question of whether XMS3 1600mhz is superior to Kingston 1333mhz for my config & needs. [Now there is no longer the question of using up all RAM slots as both are 4gb single stick].

Edit: Quick google seems to suggest that the 1600[O.C.] spec on the Asus mobo seems to suggest that the speed will default to 1333mhz, unless the RAM is O.C.ed. That true?

^^ The answer would lie in the motherboard you finally end up buying.

For example, you buy the Gigabyte motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 motherboard, the manufactures website clearly shows a max of 1333Mhz is only supported. Now if you buy a 1600Mhz, It will be lower clocked and not utilizing the complete speed as such.

Now said that there is one more thing to the RAM's; Latency, Clock timings, Lower the clocking better it will be!

Have i just confuse you a lot now!!!

Well my personal suggestion would be to get a better motherboard say my personal fav GA 880GMA-UD2H (both Sata 6Gbps ans USB3 retails around 4.8K). And then get a Gskill/Corsair 2x2GB 1600Mhz.

i just buy aasus m4a88tm-le for 4.1k.build quality is very good. do not buy less than 760g .

in case of ram if u overclock this increases bandwidth to cpu to process more data.so 1600mhz ram is only plus if u want to over clock cpu and ram.second thing u can lower the timings.so i suggest Asus M4A78LT-M LE+XMS3+Athlon II X4 640

Buy a decent 880G based motherboard Hades knows the real-time pricing and will be able to pin you a good model in your budget for RAM ~ it really does not matter in Rendering the frequency but the capacity, so the difference between 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz will not be much but between 2 GB and 4 GB you will see atleast a ~ 20 second real-time difference

-- for MAYA please install a 64-bit OS it really goes :jumpy:

Thanks for all your replies, fellas. So what would the benefit of a better board be? [Why is it 'better'?] & could you suggest such a board? [without burning a hole in my pocket though].

Since the difference in the speed of RAM won't matter much, I'll save some moolah & go for the Kingston single 4gb stick. Could the money thus saved, i.e. ~450-500 bucks, enable me to buy the better board? The Asus board above costs ~2.7k.

Also, while on the topic of memory, do you'll think the prices have reached the lowest point & not fall further [for now, i.e. these prices will be about the lowest one can expect over the next 15-20 days]?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Well, i want to keep it to a minimum. But i may consider stretching it to 3.5k max, if there is any real benefit achieved from doing so. Which is why i was wondering what everyone means by a 'better' motherboard.

See buying a better motherboard is a very important thing... See If u'll buy a cheap mobo it wont b able to fully utilize the performance of ur CPU... And a cheap mobo wont carry much features... And if u are an overclocker the overclocking potential of a CPU highly depends on a good motherboard... And a good motherboard will b able to support 140w CPUs which cheap and old motherboards can't (max 95w cpu supported)... thats y everybody is suggesting u to buy a better motherboard... :D

BTW if u can spend 4k on a motherboard then there are great motherboards in this range...

Well I'm confused. The board specs state that the x4 635 is supported. So I don't get the bit about the 140w cpu. Are you speaking from the perspective of future upgrade potential? If thats the case then I'm not worried about that. I'm not worried about overclocking because that would involve more spending on the psu. So all in all, will the stated board not eke out the full potential of the x4, even though the specs mention it as a supported cpu? If that is the case, then I might consider the 4k mobo. Thanks for all your help and your patience.

In 4K Range U can Buy...

Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H (880G+SB710) = Rs.4000

MSI 880GM-E41 (880G+SB710) = Rs. 4100 (Has vertical aligned sata ports so u wud b able to install longer gfx cards in the future without the fear of any sata ports getting blocked)

These are very good motherboards... AND BTW Digilink handles the RMA of MSI and Gigabyte Boards

ALPHA17 said:
so the difference between 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz will not be much but between 2 GB and 4 GB you will see atleast a ~ 20 second real-time difference

:
really? how did you come to that calculation?

^^

Simple because I have a AMD Phenom IIx4 965 + RIPJAWS 1333 MHz 4GB + ASUS 785G based board + ATi HD 5770 render time - 1:44 min: seconds

friend has Phenom IIx4 965 + RIPJAWS 1600 MHz 4GB + Gigabyte 790FX based board + ATi HD 5850 ~ 1:40

and college roommate has Intel Core i7 950 + Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz 6GB kit + Gigabyte GAX58 UD5P + Nvidia Quaddro ~ :55 seconds

thats why and on a college comp which has

AMD 4000+ based system + 2 GB RAM ( DDR II ) + Quaddro 380FX card ~ half hour

and I have not staked out my Intel Pentium D + 1 GB RAM ( DDR II 533 MHz ) + ATi X 700 card based system

Thats how I proved that in MAYA the amount matters more :)

Back