PC Peripherals RAM getting shared with Graphic Card?

unonymouz

Disciple
I bought a new PC recently from Prime

Core i7 860
MSI P55-GD80
Corsair 2GB(x2) 1333 Mhz DDR3
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Seagate 7200.12 500 GB
Corsair VX450
CM 690
I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (could not obtain Home Premium)

Now, this might sound a noob question.Please do take the time to answer this because my family has been saving this money for a couple of years now to get me this for studies in 3D
In the Computer properties Windows 7, my RAM shows up as

Installed - 4 GB
Usable - 2.99 GB
Pagefile - 2.5 GB
Is my Graphic card taking this 1GB RAM?Where is the 1GB going??? :huh: :huh: :huh: :(

I'm really going to cry if this turns out wrong because this is my first update since 7 years.

Please help. My humble request.

Re: RAM getting shared with Graphic Card???

32 bit!
shud i go for the 64 bit version?Will my applications (maya,ps,zbrush) be compatible with it?

The only reason why it shows 2.99 is that 32bit OS has a limitation for upto 3gb RAM. Go for the x64 and yes your applications would be compatible :D

@ TS you can still use your applications on 32 bit OS quite easily , if u want to use ur resources completely then use 64 bit OS

edit : go for XP it less resource hungry then vista /W7 , u wont get those vista effects but i believe u want ur PC for applications not for looks

choice is yours :)

Congrats on the new system! :)

I'm glad you went with the suggestions we gave you! Now click some uber snaps and put it up on the show-off thread and do NOT vanish from the forums once you're done with it! :p

kartikoli said:
edit : go for XP it less resource hungry then vista /W7 , u wont get those vista effects but i believe u want ur PC for applications not for looks
choice is yours :)

I second that...NOT! 7 is not just about looks. Easier to move around, stability and much more secure. XP had a very successful run but seriously, pls do give 7 a try for at least a week ( @kartikoli). I'm betting you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Naga said:
I second that...NOT! 7 is not just about looks. Easier to move around, stability and much more secure. XP had a very successful run but seriously, pls do give 7 a try for at least a week ( @kartikoli). I'm betting you'll be pleasantly surprised.

buddy TS wanted a system for animation (if i am not wrong .... haven't gone through the whole discussion though) so he can work on XP

as far security is concern yes W7 is much better but TS get more resources by using XP which i believe is what he has build his PC for

edit : i am using W7 from the time when beta version was released :D

I know I should be sticking with XP, but I do want to try out Windows 7 before I downgrade to XP for performance reasons.Right now, my workflow is pretty simple, and there are not many variables which might cause performance loss in my work.So, I'm going to stick with Windows 7 till I need that extra bit of performance from my PC.

I was playing Crysis at 1024x768, with everything set to very high (except the objects, since it was grayed out),extracting a 6 gb zip file with 7zip, and copying files from my DVD rom, and man! IT DID NOT SLOW DOWN A BIT!!! What the heck are these machines made up of??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And damn, Crysis looks amazing on full!!! I was kissing my monitor and sitting and looking at the textures and lighting for a full one hour! :D

And yes, about me being regular in forums, I'll be honest.I have eaten one small meal a day and slept for 3 hours for the past 6 days, because I wanted to spend my money wisely, and not make any major mistakes about this computer.I really need to step up my pace, because I need to complete my remaining animation portion (mental ray, rendering, ae, zbrush, anatomy) in a stipulated amount of time.

So, Ganesh, please forgive me if I'm not regular, and dont flame me if I come around asking for help. :)

unonymouz, I too want to learn how to paint using Z Brush, Photoshop and Ligtwave 3D are there any good tutorials,any place in India which helps in Graphics Designing and Moddeling Using these softwares ?

Back