Laptops Ram issue- bsod

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys my sister has this old laptop Acer Aspire 5742z.
It used to serve her good until past 2yrs when she was using her office laptop ans this Acer was resting in cupboard.

Now that she left her job she reverted back to it and it fells extremely slow.

Win 7, 500gb hdd, 2gb ram.

I managed to get a 8gb ram single stick ram off my brothers old i5 lenovo laptop which works flawlessly.

But when tried on her acer it threw bsods while booting OS.

Just today free upgraded win 7 to 10 in a hope that a fresh os might solve the issue but same bsod.

Is higher frequency is causing the issue?

Considering it has win7 installed, that means it is an older machine therefore each ram slot would support maximum 4gb. If there are two slots you can go for 4gb x 2 sticks. Single 8gb stick is most probably the culprit. To confirm mention the model number of the laptop. Also to speedup laptop, alongwith ram upgrades, get an ssd and install windows on it. Upgrading to win 10 is a good choice.

Also check whether the RAM is DDR3 or DDR3L. Some laptops only support DDR3L. I made the same mistake and bought DDR3 ram for my laptop. Funny thing in my case was, the DDR3 ram only causes BSODs when installed with the 4GB RAM that came with the laptop. When installed on it's own , it doesn't give any BSODs, so I have been using it that way without any issues.

Last edited:
Also check whether the RAM is DDR3 or DDR3L. Some laptops only support DDR3L. I made the same mistake and bought DDR3 ram for my laptop. Funny thing in my case was, the DDR3 ram only causes BSODs when installed with the 4GB RAM that came with the laptop. When installed on it's own , it doesn't give any BSODs, so I have been using it that way without any issues.
Yeah I only learnt late night that supported ram is SODIMM 1.5v and what I was trying till now were all 1.35v

Back