CPU/Mobo Ram needed

Brendon

Skilled
All right, I had just upgraded my mbd and proc and I was still using DDR 266 ram which just gave up and died. So I have to buy new ram. I am looking for 1 GB DDR 400 from some good company Transcend/ Twinmos/ Kingston etc.

Not looking for heavy duty ram, but something for just casual overclocking and good overall performance. However I dont know what to look for in buying ram. I have no idea what are latencies or stuff. :no:

Also I am going to LR in a few days, so could someone tell me also which shop from LR to buy ram ? :huh: I need something with a 3 year warranty and I am willing to spend abt 5.5k for it. If there is something better at a slighly higher price, do let me know. Also I have socket 754, so no dual channel can be used. :(

Also if anyone has 1 Gb to sell and still has about 2 years warranty left, do let me know. :)

Go for Twinmos..... Then transcend..... then Kingston. Unless you go for Kingston Hyper X. Kingston Value RAM sucks!!!

Ok, twinmos seems good and its available in Mumbai. However should I go in for 512 x 2 or one GB stick. I saw on the transcend website that the 512 mb stick was rated 2.5 cas and the 1 gb stick was rated 3.0 cas. What does this mean ?

Go for two 512 x 2 will be cheaper and no performance difference... Thumb rule for ram... lower latencies the better... So CAS 2.5 is better then CAS 3.0... BTW do buy only *Sealed Packed* Tracends... There is a lot of fake marked RAM in the market...

Oh cl is cas. Thanks for that. Ok so I got a good idea what to look for. However can someone expalin the damm timmings thing. I have a ddr 266 ram and it runs at 2.5-3-3-6 (SPD), while the Transcend ram says that it is 3.0 cl, so its'nt my current ram better ?

Does ur RAM run at 400 MHz ??? Why didn't u think abt. that pal ? 2.5 at 266 and 3.0 at 400 MHz make a helluva difference.

Freaky said:
Does ur RAM run at 400 MHz ??? Why didn't u think abt. that pal ? 2.5 at 266 and 3.0 at 400 MHz make a helluva difference.

Hey chill ! I was just asking about the difference in timings thats all. I thought that the latencies of more expensive ram would be lower than that of the OEM ram I have now. If I knew everything on ram, I wouldnt be asking so many questions, I would be giving advise like you. :)

well, the transcend means its rated CL3 at DDR400, which means it can run at CL2 in DDR266. thats better than ur current CL2.5 RAM

BF1983 said:
Hey chill ! I was just asking about the difference in timings thats all. I thought that the latencies of more expensive ram would be lower than that of the OEM ram I have now. If I knew everything on ram, I wouldnt be asking so many questions, I would be giving advise like you. :)

That wasn't meant to be in a harsh tone, pal. I'm always a guy who is willing to help others. :) :) It's just that the framing of the sentence gave an aggressive tone to the reply.

Freaky said:
That wasn't meant to be in a harsh tone, pal. I'm always a guy who is willing to help others. :) :) It's just that the framing of the sentence gave an aggressive tone to the reply.

No problems, you and others from TE have helped me earlier also. Anyways I have more or less made up my mind. First choice will be TwinMOS and then Transcend. I will stay away from Kingston. Also check if the ram is 2.5 cl. Thanks for all your help guys ! :clap:

Hey guys thx for all the help ! I finally went to LR yesterday and picked up one stick of 512 Mb Transcend ram at 2.5-3-3 for just 2200 ! I bought it from Mahavir Computers in the lane after Computer Selection and Cassette world.

He was lower by about 1000 bucks than anyone from LR. He seemed very happy when I mentioned Rocky from TE recommended him.

Aces170 said:
Its abt 2100-2200 at most of the places...

I meant 100 bucks more. Also I tried at many places including Computer Selection who quoted me 2600 ! for a 512 Mb stick. The lowest after him was Cassette World who quoted me 2350, but he was trying to sell me Zion 256 Mb sticks for 1500 bucks each ! :rofl:

He tried to tell me the 'HUGE' performance difference between Zion and Transcend and even told me that 768 Mb Zion ram will outperform 1 GB of Transcend ram !

I will never enter that shop again ! :mad:

Back