CPU/Mobo RAM - the ideal final solution

sunandoghosh

Disciple
Hi one final question based on valuable replies to all my previous questions on RAM...

I have presently one 512 MB RAM hynix (hynix most probably to me appears a company name like kingston and transcend selling RAM) and another 256 MB RAM again hynix on my present pc...

Any yes my motherboard is Intel 865GBF with P4 3 MHz

As i am going to upgrade my RAM; the best option seems to be purchase two additional DDR RAM -

one of size 256 MB with DDR 400 / PC 3200
second of size 512 MB with DDR 400 / PC 3200

and then place like this:

Channel A
256 MB DDR400 DIMM 0
512 MB DDR400 DIMM 1

Channel B
256 MB DDR400 DIMM 0
512 MB DDR400 DIMM 1

I had a look inside my cabinet and saw that on RAM chips its written hynix DDR 400...

NOW before i go to market tommorow and finally purchase

two hynix DDR 400 RAM PC 3200 - one of size 512 MB and another of size 256 MB;

Plz answer my one last q:

a. Is hynix a reputable company ??? (the last two rams which i have on pc are hynix and i relied totally on what shopkeeper said)...???

b. Are hynix RAMs comparable to kingston and trascend...???

c. Can i purchase DDR 400 / PC 3200 RAMS (size 256 MB and 512 MB) of kingston now and use it with HYNIX (256 MB and 512 MB) and thereby benfit from Dual channel to maximum...???

d. OR should i purchase two additional rams both of hynix now as older two are of hynix only to ensure compatibility for Dual Channel configuration...????

Now u people must be thinking why i am upgrading RAM to 512 + 512 + 256 + 256 from present 512 + 256 ....reason is I am installing SAP fico on my PC and its very intensive application....
As i am a finance guy and my computer technical knowledge is too limited i am purely and 100% relying on whats being said here...

(trust me i still do not understand whats DDR or PC 3200 or DDR 400 mean or how dual channel exactly improves speed....but then all i can gather has been summarized by me in the above from all great replies and posts by so knowledgeable people here)....

thanks again and waiting for last final verdict.....thanks

in case any one wants to add anything or suggest something new plz do so....

sunandoghosh posted 1.4 minutes later:

if u want to add anything plz do so...as tommorow morning i commit and purchase...so any last minute alternatives for betterment considering my existing RAMs and intel 865gbf (which does not support ddr 2 probably and ddr2 probably is superior to ddr) existing setup....

not sure if ur 512+256+512+256 will yield better results, but to answer ur queries:

a. Yes, Hynix is as reputable (infact sometimes better) than the other mentioned manufacturers - PROVIDED u get original Hynix. There are a lot of Fake Hynix RAM in the market.

b. Hynix D43 (chips) are better than most Transcend/Kingston modules.

c. Not sure if ur proposed 512+256 + 512+256 will be any beneficial. Mobo makers recommend RAM modules from same maker with same timings for them to work in Dual Channel.

d. RAM prices are at an all time low. SO, If i were u, I wud purchase 3 512MB sticks and make it a total of 2GB. I wud either sell the 256MB stick or keep it as back-up.

@TechHead
The marks on the chips r very fine....not blurry .....nd on sme of the hynix chips which i saw, they even vanished whn i just rubbed them a lil :rofl:

@sunando
if u can sell tht 256 nd get 3 512's it will b more better,
if not, then stick to hynix , as Masky said :)

Last edited by a moderator:
TechHead said:
^Masky and others : How do you know whether Hynix RAM being purchased is genuine or not?

I dont know bro.. Darky n Funky are the pros in telling the good stuff from the fake ones.. ;).. Rockyme is one too ;)

^^nope i aint...
wait for Funky or Darky's reply....
they explain much better....i sux at tht :( :p

Btw there r sme Brainpower PCB Hynix's avail now.....get thm....they rock :)

Ok I will make it easier for ya.

Hynix with brainpower

Hynix but not brainpower

See how obsious the difference is, see how different PCBs are. :)

^^Heh.. I can't see them, work has blocked imageshack. Thanks anyway. I'll be back in Mumbai on Sunday. Can we work out a deal for your Hynix then?

Hey Funky,
The ram has the PCB No. on the back side, which helps to identify whether its Brainpower or not.
I will take a pic and post it tonight.

Oki.
Come back to mumbai and PM me. Will talk about your RAM then. :)

funkymonkey posted 2.17 minutes later:

Darklord said:
Hey Funky,
The ram has the PCB No. on the back side, which helps to identify whether its Brainpower or not.
I will take a pic and post it tonight.
ya backside on the edge. BU606/608 or something. Will post exact no when i shut down the system.
My camera is not good enought to capture that :p But i will try.
EDIT: Ok mine says B6U808. :)

Back