Ran into problems while playing HD content

shady8701

Disciple
First of all, i couldn't find a more appropriate thread to post this in, so i hope the admins will move this to the proper thread if needed.

Now to the problems itself, i have a laptop thats a couple years old and just does for my needs (barely!), so i got this 22" screen to help matters look a little bright.
I downloaded a movie which was 720p and that ran just fine, but as soon as i try to play 1080p content, its frames bad and on KMPlayer, the audio is fine but the video sort of lags behind the audio.

Here are the full PC specs:
Its a HP DV6516tx
Core 2 Duo - 1.66 GHZ,
2 GB ram,
GeForce 8400M GS - 256 mb
Windows 7

I've tried increasing the priority of the player application and that does not help, i've also tried installing the Core AVC decoder and Media Player Classic and that did not help either.

Is my hardware just plain old incapable of running HD content or is there something i can do to make it work? I am from delhi but work in Bangalore so i was hoping that i wouldn't have to buy a Desktop pc here, so any solutions that don't involve a new PC are very welcome, although i'll be buying a new PC soon i suppose.

try VLC MEDIA PLAYER your audio-video synchronization problem will get solve but may face more shattering at 1080p compared to kmplayer .

@Overlord, yeah i noticed that, in VLC the audio video is in sync but the audio stuttering is so bad that its unbearable.

@Sandeepbg, no, i've tried VLC, Media player classic and KMPlayer, but no go. I believe this can be remedied by some codec or the other, but i am not sure about that myself, maybe some forum members can suggest a codec which offloads a lot of processing to the GPU or makes more optimal use of it.

I think that might help matter a bit.

Waiting for replies.

try the new divx codec to play 1080p files. its better than even coreavc imo.

DivX Plus Codec Pack

install only the codecs and nothing else.

you can see the difference between coreavc and divx by putting the required codec you want to use in high priority in mpc or kmplayer if it supports that.

@shady8701,

Can you please tell us which format is that 1080p movie having?

If its .mkv, then VLC player will shatter a lot as it uses its own mkv decoder.

For the best results, install K-Lite Codec Pack and try to run that movie in Windows Media Player(as in the case of Windows 7, its WMP 11).

The frames will not lost and forwarding the movie will not pixelate the movie.

@ harpreet - this particular file was a .avi, but i had pretty much the same problem while running a 1080p mp4.

I've tried the FFDShow codec pack, and the CoreAVC uptil now, gonna try this DivX thingy today, will post back about how it goes.

Keeping my thumbs crossed, thanks guys.

Please do let me know if you think of something else

you could try enabling DXVA...directx video acceleration.
For MPC, goto options, internal filters, and check everything where you see dxva.
If that doesn't work, open the DivX control panel, and enable dxva there.
I haven't seen DXVA work when playing back avi files, but it does work for mkv files. Give it a go anyway, what've you got to loose?

@Lazzy Boy : damn! i'd never have believed it myself, but you are right, instead of wasting our time looking for good players, WM11 is simply good.i'm Using Windows 7 though, so can't say other OSs

Thanks guys for all the comments, i think we can count this issue as resolved, lol and what a resolution. :)

Back