Audio Random DAC/Amp Thread!!

You don't have to carry your stuff. You can buy and try them instead :p. Just try out the DacMini when you have the chance though!

There's a certain difference in preference. In general, based on what I've read, more people seem to prefer the HA-160D to DacMini. But DacMini seems to do better with cheaper USB cable and it's el-cheapo bundled power supply. First time I've read about something that does not improve with a costlier cable.

Regarding MS2, this is what he mentioned in his original review -

Furthermore, the two DACs are also different in terms of sound signature, the Audinst HUD-MX1 has a more relaxed and slightly warmer sound signature. The MS2 is more neutral, and doesn’t quite have the coloration of the Audinst. The MS2 is also more lively and energetic. Treble is more decisive on the MS2, and bass is tighter and punchier. I’m not saying that the Audinst is highly colored, because it’s still mostly a neutral sounding DAC, but it’s warmer and more relaxed in comparison to the MS2.

But, vs DacMini

The HRT Music Streamer II+ (and likewise the Music Streamer II non +) noticeably has a different sound signature, and one that is warmer, darker, and more analog. The DACmini stood out in the comparison as being the cleaner sounding and more precise DAC.

vs DacPort

Less grainy sound on the CEntrance devices, wider and more enveloping soundstage on the HRT MS II+ are among some of the principal differences. Then you can also add in the fact that the DACmini is very colorless while the DACport has a warmer and fuller mids, but slightly less precise sound. The HRT is wamer, slightly darker, and the presence of the grain seems to enhance the feeling of a more analog reproduction from the HRT. These should give you a good idea of the different voicing of the HRT and the CEntrance devices. Personally I think they are all good DACs, and I would base my choice more on the sound signature factor, i.e HRT for a more Sennheiser like sound and the DACmini for a more Beyerdynamic sound.

Also Audinst vs DacPort

Sound signature wise, the Audinst is more laid back and is darker. The DACport is more mid centric and has a fuller mids while the Audinst has fuller lows. Sound quality wise, the Audinst is grainier while the DACport is cleaner from top to bottom.

I am guessing it's all in relative terms - not sure though! Can somebody chip in about the 'grain', 'laidback', 'warmer' sound of Audinst?

PS: Those comparisons make me want to try a Beyer :)

I don't believe USB cables has anything to do with SQ. Other than the fact that DACs(like the HRT and the Centrance DAcport) that take power from USB ports should not be long in length. Other than that, I do not believe USB cables have any role to play. Or else you cud have problems with the PC detecting it even.

I think Faheem should be able to give a comparison between the Audinst and other dacs/amps which he has tried since I am yet to audition the MX1 :)

The MS II is warm ? I find it rather cool and digital sounding rather than warm. Mids do not have the same richness that I want but the soundstage is the real differentiater that makes me forget about getting something else.

Thinking of adding the Compass as a pre amp as it adds more warmth to the sound.

bennysachdev said:
I'm a little over protective about my stuff.
Exactly like me ! :D

@Esantosh - BTW, what happened to your MS II ? Did you try it with the Burson ?

I tried it for a short while with the Burson and HD600. But I must have done something wrong as our EB guys decided to get back to random power cut mode from the next day.

I guess we can safely take any headfonia review with a pinch of salt from hereon :). While I on the topic of headfonia, what the hell is PRaT anyway? Can someone explain in simple terms what it's supposed to be? Is it the "foot tapping" or "headbanging" nature of the sound?

In the meanwhile, another product (and my money sadly :() with a huge hype built by head-fi comes crumbling down - ZO2 Appreciation/Impression Thread

Chaos said:
At lower price points, a very interesting DAC is the Lindemann. Heard it recently at a gentleman's place here and it sounded very analog and non fatiguing. Also the Rega DAC is supposed to sound fantastic. Once in a while, there are Reimyos that keep popping up in the used market. At 60-70k used, they are ridiculously good value for money. There's also a made in bangalore brand called Acoustic Portrait which seemingly has a 24/192 async dac that rivals the very best in the business. I've not heard it yet but would probably get a chance soon. For those on a super tight budget, absolutely nothing beats Peter Daniel's Audiosector DAC. It eats most of the entry level cd players and dacs from big name companies for lunch. However you'd be limited to 16/44.
Could you please tell us a little more about the dacs you've mentioned sir along with the pricing. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to DACs and wouldn't know what to check or look for.

The Lindemann is around 1000$, the Rega was retailing for 53k while it was available locally. Reimyo DAP-777 last popped up at 70k in bangalore (2 years old). The Acoustic Portrait DAC is roughly around 90k new but most folks tell me it easily equals big name stuff that costs twice as much. The fully pimped out PD dacs go for around 43-44k including duties, shipping etc. The Ayon CD players (which double as DACs too) start off at around 1.1+VAT for the CD07, 1.6+VAT for the CD-1s and 2.1+VAT for the CD-2s. All of them are stunning at their price points. These are the sources I've personally heard and would recommend. (Other than the Acoustic Portrait which i'll get an for an audition soon).

I'm told by a german gentleman who retails Einstein, Trigon and Scheu Analog in India that Trigon is coming out with a USB dac which will cost roughly 50k landed in India. He'll have a demo sample soon. I trust his ears enough to recommend this blindly.

<shameless plug>

I have a Peter Daniel DAC for sale for 25k :p

</shameless plug>

Chaos said:
<shameless plug>

I have a Peter Daniel DAC for sale for 25k :p

</shameless plug>

<reply to shameless plug> If I did not have doubts about my compatibility with NOS sound, you would have no need for that section</reply to shameless plug>

iaudio briefly auditioned the Acoustic Portrait when he was in Bangalore with some 24/96 Classical track. He mentioned it was amazing. I am waiting for your own impressions :)

A friend of mine who has a pair of Blumenhofer speakers with acoustic portrait Pre+Power amps is planning to pick it up soon. Once its with him, we'll be able to a direct A/B between my Ayon and the Acoustic Portrait.

Just a random question. I've read in some threads that the Burson is powerful enough to drive passive bookshelves. Is that statement just a marketing gimmick and if it can, what speakers can I look at?

Since we are talking about DACs

How would you consider this as a DAC... Steinberg Ci1

It works great for me, although I got it as a USB interface for recording but works great as a DAC too and at a pretty reasonable price...

Its $99 in US and and I got mine for 150 SGD (Singapore)

A/D Resolution is 24 bit with Max Sampling rate 48 khz

SNR 96 db

Freq Range is 20 hz to 20 Khz

Back