Audio Random IEM / Headphone Rants

@santhoshr, Nice review

I have used shure 425 and currently using shure 535, never encountered any problem with the cable and connector. In fact i like this cable and connector design.

FWIR, SE530 was the one with so many cable complaints with cables worn out at least twice within the warranty period. One of the main reasons why SE535 went for detachable cable.

One of the issues with complaints on forums like head-fi is that it's a noise. We never know how much % of the IEMs went bad. It may just be the vocal minority. Other unknown factor is the usage pattern. There's no way of knowing how careful people are with their IEMs. I've had the notorious RE0 and other Hifiman IEMs for at least a year before selling off. Also had the not-so-well built Xears survive for anywhere between 6-12 months. However, it must be said that they all spent more time sleeping in their cases than in my ears and such longevity may not be the case if I used them regularly during travel.

IE80 is interesting. Except for the sound stage size, seems to have slightly 'fixed' IE8's signature - Sennheiser IE80's (Coming Soon). One can buy it from RazerDogDeals for $422 with International Express shipping. Should go lower in the coming months. Around $300 shipped would be a better price to try them. I'd be watching out for IE8 to get cheaper as well.

@lavii,

Does SE535 hiss with some of the sources?

@esanthosh, i have never heard hiss in shure535/425, i have used these with ipod+fiioe7 and currently using with crown j3, also tried with iphone and galaxy s.

I know about the cable issues in 530 that's why i have waited and opted for 535/425. i feel that if you spending a lot in iems, cable should be detachable and very well built. In my case 535 fits very well and over the ear design suits me.

Now i am saving and waiting for "Westone 4 R", i recently got the very good deal for westone 4 but couldn't go due to fixed cable. i don't know why but i feel safe with detachable cable.

BTW, anyone tried opening up an RE0? Some cable problem on mine, right earbud needs to be opened and cables fixed. Would appreciate if anyone can post how to open it up.

strategy said:
for those interested the price of HiFiman headphones has been dropped :

HE300 - $250 ( earlier they were $300 )
HE500 - $699 ( earlier they were $899 )

but the price of HE6 have been further increased
HE-6 - $1299 ( earlier they were $1199 )

a $200 price reduction in the HE500 is great. you can get the he500 second hand at even better price now .

Do we have an Indian Dealer from where we can buy HiFiman products?

SunnyBoi said:
BTW, anyone tried opening up an RE0? Some cable problem on mine, right earbud needs to be opened and cables fixed. Would appreciate if anyone can post how to open it up.

Brute force ;) - RE0 Recabling

ripesoul said:
Do we have an Indian Dealer from where we can buy HiFiman products?

Lynx India - The Audiostore - Audiophile Indian Online eStore Selling Hifiman "Headdirect" Headphones

Do a search around TE about Amarbir and Lynx India before dealing though!

lavii said:
@esanthosh, i have never heard hiss in shure535/425, i have used these with ipod+fiioe7 and currently using with crown j3, also tried with iphone and galaxy s. <snip>

Now i am saving and waiting for "Westone 4 R", i recently got the very good deal for westone 4 but couldn't go due to fixed cable. i don't know why but i feel safe with detachable cable.

Good to know about SE535.

W4R is available from earphonesolutions - http://www.earphonesolutions.com/westone-4r.html. I read that the 25% coupon codes are applicable for W4R as well. Unless you are waiting for a better price, you can order even now :)

^ Looking forward to your impressions :)

Random Thoughts for the day

[1] Not sure how many of you keep track of average_joe's Custom IEM thread (** Multi-Custom IEM Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion Thread (info on page 1)). Recently, he added a summary table with brief description of signatures and IEMs which sound similar. I thought it's an interesting way to pick one's custom. The other thing I realize is that much like universals, there's so much variety available with customs now. Another similarity would be the price ranges.

There are various price ranges I can think of in universals. Broadly, I'd say <= $25, $25-60, $60-100, $100-150, $150-250, $250+ (Cheap, Entry level, Budget, Mid-Tier, Mid-High, High) could be the buckets for the universals. I think for customs, <= $400, $400-800, $800+ could be broad ranges now. If the middle tier customs (by way of price) can be as good as the middle tier of universals, they would be very good - just short of top-tier, but better than most universals and entry level customs. But the problem with customs is that they are difficult to get and to boot out.

[2] Brainwavz HM5 seems like a great deal for $99 if they indeed sound like FA-003 : Are Brainwavz HM5 just rebranded version of Fischer FA-003?

[3] Today's IEM (After Eterna, HJE900 during the last two sessions) is XCape v1. I think it's a bad idea that Sunrise discontinued XCape v1. They could re-release XCape v1 like Fischer did with Eterna v1, but this time with better build quality. But, unlike Eterna, XCape v1 does not have a cult following. I preferred them clearly over RE0 and slightly over RE-ZERO when I had all three to compare - mostly because of the warmer well textured mid range and some bass. ljokerl is right in his assessment (Can't remember a time he was "wrong" though!) - editing and emphasis mine.

The Xcape doesn’t just share aesthetic themes with the HiFiMan RE0 and RE-ZERO but quite a few aspects of its sound as well. All of the things that made the RE0 a brilliant mid-range earphone are present in the Xcape – clarity, detail, separation, and cohesiveness are all up there with the very best in the price range.

The resulting signature is arguably even more balanced than that of the RE0. The bass is quite well-extended, dropping off gently past about 40Hz but still audible at 25. The lows are tight, clean, and very accurate – the bass of the Xcape isn’t particularly impactful or rumbly but it is punchy and well-textured. The Xcape is still a lean-sounding earphone in the grand scheme of things but in an accurate way that armature lovers will probably find pleasing.

The midrange of the Xcape is free of bass bleed but still slightly warm in nature. It is neither forward nor recessed in balance, sounding a bit less intimate than the RE-ZERO, in part due to the ZERO having a smaller soundstage overall. The detail retrieval of the Xcape is difficult to fault and it keeps up with the ZERO, beating out the M3 and nearly anything else in the price tier, but the ZERO and M3 both sound softer and more fluid than the Xcape. One odd thing about the midrange of the Xcape is that despite being slightly less forward than that of the RE-ZERO, it is the Xcape’s mids that are more likely to overshadow higher and lower notes on a track and not the ZERO’s.

The treble of the Xcape is quite a bit more straightforward than the midrange. It is crisp, clear, and detailed – about on-par with the HiFiMan earphones in quality. The Xcape manages to sound analytical but at the same time neither cold nor bright – something very few other budget-minded earphones are able to accomplish. Presentation-wise the Xcape is a bit more spacious than the RE0/RE-ZERO, which have more well-defined soundstage limits, but still falls within the confines of ‘average’ as far as higher-end in-ear earphones go.

lavii said:
@santhoshr, Nice review

I have used shure 425 and currently using shure 535, never encountered any problem with the cable and connector. In fact i like this cable and connector design.

Thanks lavii! Great that you have both 425 and 535, how was the sound stage and treble in 535 ? Did you posted any reviews / impressions?

ripesoul said:
Been on the forum long enough to know about Lynx...is there no other dealer?

Did not look at your join date. My bad!

No other dealer that I know of. Guess that leaves only direct order from head-direct.

@santhoshr, I am not very good in describing sound in audiophile terms but I will try to write review for 535 and 940, when I get 940 this week.

Now I have 535 only, sold 425 month ago. Well in term of treble 535 pleases me very well, it is very redefined and with cowon j3 I fell more clarity in treble Sound-stage is also very wide and deep. Overall representation it is very fun sounding, I have also tried other high end IEMs and found 535 very pleasant and fun.

@esanthosh, What do you think of starting a thread about suggestion/recommendation about Hindi/fusion songs which will make headphone/iem sound more fun.

From the top of my head, Indian ocean and most of A.R. Rahman's music comes to mind for hindi music. Hard to find but if you can get the lossless collection of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan sahab and his collaborative work with Michael Brook, it should satisfy your desire for fusion music. The bassline on most tracks is very massive attack types thus very addictive.

bennysachdev said:
From the top of my head, Indian ocean and most of A.R. Rahman's music comes to mind for hindi music. Hard to find but if you can get the lossless collection of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan sahab and his collaborative work with Michael Brook, it should satisfy your desire for fusion music. The bassline on most tracks is very massive attack types thus very addictive.
Yep, I have Mustt mustt and Nightsong from the series and they are truly addictive. You could also look at breathing under water by anoushka sankar and marsh kale.

Yes A R Rahman stuff is very good , also i have nusrat collaborative work with Michael Brook, cheb i sabbah in lossless. You can also check talvin singh, midival punditz, karsh kale karunesh and whole buddha bar series.

try nusrat album "Star Rise", this album has very good remix of nusrat songs by artist like joi, talvin singh, dhol fundation

Check out Angel Tears-Vol1 , Cafe Bombay , Omnia - Wolf Love (tracks 4, 8, 13), Prem Joshua- Dakini Lounge Remixed , Talvin Singh(Hope, Kashmir, I of a bird). These are some really good fusion/ethno albums.

got the shure 940 yesterday, very glad with the purchase. these have very good treble and fedelity. lack in bass but with "BBE Mach3Bass' in cowon j3 these are awesome, can feel deep and good bass. currently fiio e7 bass setting handling shure very well.

Now i see why these are being compared with headphones expensive than these.

esanthosh said:
For Ortho fans - KODA^1 - The T50rp extensive mod project

An alternative to smeggy's Thunderpants?

Looks nice!

The T50RP can be modded pretty well in their stock housing too. It won't look as good as these but sounds pretty good.
In fact, when we had the Thunderpants for the loan, I was quite surprised at how similar our modded T50RP(after switching to O2 earpads) & TPs sounded.

lavii said:
got the shure 940 yesterday, very glad with the purchase. these have very good treble and fedelity. lack in bass but with "BBE Mach3Bass' in cowon j3 these are awesome, can feel deep and good bass. currently fiio e7 bass setting handling shure very well.
Now i see why these are being compared with headphones expensive than these.
Hi,
Did you get these from Sun Infotech (defence colony) ?
How is the comfort?

Thanks

Back