PC Peripherals Random Reboots

thelord

Disciple
I have been facing a strange problem of late.

My PC used to be rock stable & could run 2-3 days at a stretch without any probs. But for the last few weeks, if I keep it running for more than a day, it randomly reboots. There is no specific software that I load, or any specific process for the reboot. It just happens randomly.

Now I thought it could be the RAM, so switched it with another pair of DDR's. The problem is not solved.

Then I changed the PSU, still the problem exists. :(

So what else could be the problem guys.

Here's the config

X2 3800+ , A8N-E, Transcend 2*1 GB, Antec TP 2.0 480, 6600 GT

Hitachi 1*250 GB, 1*160 GB SATA II

Help me out fellas.

PS: Everything at stock, no OCing, temps are normal

Checked both hard drives with the Hitachi Drive Fitness test. They are working fine..

So what could be the problem? I can't figure it out.

Could it be a motherboard problem.. capacitor leak or something.. ?

The first suspects would be RAM and PSU. Since you eliminated both, the next most probable suspect would be the motherboard. This can happen when caps have become weak and begining to fail. The same symptoms surfaced on my sisters machine and in a few days almost half the caps on the mobo went bad. So be careful. If its not in warranty period, take it to some hardware servicing point and get the board checked.

If the system reboots due to a fatal error, disable automatic restart on system failure to get the BSOD. The STOP error there might give a clue, or you can also check your event log.

@ShakenSoul - Thanks for the tip. :) I have disabled that option now. Lets see if it shows any STOP error, coz the event log is clean.

@lord_nemesis - Motherboard is in warranty. Right now, am checking if any PCI device or Floppy Drive is at fault. If they all are working fine, then Amarbir is the guy I trust for motherboards. ;)

hi
I think the problem also occurs when we apply excessive pressure while instaling thing on to it the tracks(since the board now days have 7 layred structure )often are bent and cause such problems do get your motherboard checked for such thinghs also .:rofl:

check the event logs and post here about what caused the reboot. i doubt it is a hardware issue. most probably it could be due to the mains power supply fluctuations causing it, anyways please post more detailed info about the running processes / services on ur m/c immediately before the reboots. RPC (Remote Procedure Call) process getting corrupt can also reboot the m/c.

ps:1) try disabling / removing the optical drives.
2) Cleanout the keyboard (if wired)
3) remove all the usb devices
4) clean the inside of the cabinet of all dust (including the surface of the m/b , Graphics card etc...) and recheck all the connections firmly
and post back the status at ur leisure.

deejay said:
check the event logs and post here about what caused the reboot. i doubt it is a hardware issue. most probably it could be due to the mains power supply fluctuations causing it, anyways please post more detailed info about the running processes / services on ur m/c immediately before the reboots. RPC (Remote Procedure Call) process getting corrupt can also reboot the m/c.

ps:1) try disabling / removing the optical drives.

2) Cleanout the keyboard (if wired)

3) remove all the usb devices

4) clean the inside of the cabinet of all dust (including the surface of the m/b , Graphics card etc...) and recheck all the connections firmly

and post back the status at ur leisure.

Yep, cleaned the cabinet when the problem surfaced.

Am checking with the Floppy Drive disabled, so far so good. :)

BTW, here are the event logs from the last 3 reboots.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xe2f43000, 0x00000000, 0xb787ab57, 0x00000001).

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf82e633, 0xb5313a74, 0x00000000).

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8054afd2, 0xb07d5aa8, 0x00000000).

Back