PC Peripherals Random shut down

-Anish-

Skilled
Hello all,

Its happening to one of my cousin's system which i built about 3 months ago.
His config is below :
I need help in narrowing down what the issue can be. Not sure where to start from. Config is as below :

Biostar Tpower X58
Core i7 940
3GB DDR3 Patriot @ 1333mhz.
EVGA GTX260
Corsair VX450

Here is the problem..
The system shuts down completely on a random basis. I can only see a red led light near the ram slots. When i power it on, it just doesnt want to come back on. I tried to shut it down completely from the main socket, start it back again and it works for a couple of seconds and then shuts down..showing me a red led light and thats about it. Sometimes, when i shut everything down for a couple of hours from the mains, it then works for a couple of hours or maybe a day or two max, but when i went to his place again next day, I see nothing but a dead system with a red led light.

Now, i am really stuck with this as all the components are like 3 months old or maybe less. What could be the issue? Motherboard, PSU, rams....?

TIA
|Anish|

Check the cpu temps dude, I think ur cousin's rig is overheating. Update me with the temps so that i can suggest further. And if temps are high then check whether it is due to poor ventilation system or faulty intel hsf. To check the temps just do one thing - open the bios and seach for temperture monitor and see the cpu temperature there, wait on that screen till ur system shutdown automatically and note the final reading of temperature and let us know here.

This might help u. Reply asap. :)

Try Touching the Heat Sink by hand. try to sense how hot it is. if there heatsink is not heating up at all, then you need to reseat the proccy.

Also, try running computer with Cabinet Opened. this would rule out ventilation issues.

You should try isolation. Keep the System powered on in BIOS mode only for some time to see if problem replicates. No other devices connected like HDD, DVDroms etc.

If it still happens, it is a HW issue. If the system has a on board gfx option switch to that and try similar steps. Later try and work it on 1 ram chip, then the other. When swapping them fails, it usually is a problem with either the motherboard or the PSU most likely.

Try PSU at a friends place and you should know as to what the problem is.

Will try the isolation part, havent got time to do that actually. The motherboard does not have an onboard gfx option (biostar X58), but I will be trying it without the graphic card too, if the system still shuts down I will report back.

@ wingy : Unfortunately neither the manual or google is helpful regarding the Red led light. But i noticed that the light is ON in my system (I have the same mobo) even when the system is running fine, but in my cousin's system that is the only light which is ON and no other leds are ON. (the motherboard has around 4-5 leds all around :S )

Thanks for the help everyone. I just hope its the PSU and not the motherboard :|

please post full rig specs.

How many HDds and ODDs?

Do not start troubleshooting with a biased mind.

Stock or OCed?

What case/cabby?

All standoffs at the right place?

If an old case, did you try removing the power switch header and using the reset switch to power up the rig instead?

sounds like a short somewhere or a source issue. :(

Also make sure there are no issues with the wall socket powering up the rig.

Everything off one socket via extension/power strip/UPS?

Check the bare system with cpu+mobo+single RAM+gpu on a bare cardboard box- do not use any sponge/antistatic/paper etc behind the mobo..

See if you can get into and stay in the bios for sometime.

Then attach the primary HDD and try getting into windows and running some benchies.

Back