Raspberry Pi 3 launched

avi

Skilled
In celebration of our fourth birthday, we thought it would be fun to release something new. Accordingly, Raspberry Pi 3 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Raspberry Pi 2), featuring:

• A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~10x the performance of Raspberry Pi 1)
  • Integrated 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1
  • Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale

Other than wifi and bluetooth, this is hardly an upgrade. With 1GB ram, the a53 core doesn't help much over an a7. Even the GPU is the same old videocore with no h.265 support.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to pick this up? The Indian Element 14 store has it available for pre-order but for some reason they required a VAT/TIN number to even create an account there. Can't seem to find it listed anywhere else.

^^ Element 14 is a whole seller won't sell it on individual basis.

Its still not up at kitsnspares but it's available for hefty tag of ₹3500 at ElementzOnline.

Do note that Rpi3 has repositioned the led indicators, technically it should work fine with RPI2 case but led won't be visible considering the wifi module doesn't create hindrance.

^ Same here. Just bought it three days back. But then, on the bright side, there aren't any ground breaking features here. You could always add Wifi and Bluetooth functionality with modules. The only advantage left is it has a faster processor.

When worldwide its sold for same price as RPI2 , why in india its sold for more?

Plus for me major gripe is no gigabit Ethernet port

Would rather buy a Orange Pi plus

Other than wifi and bluetooth, this is hardly an upgrade. With 1GB ram, the a53 core doesn't help much over an a7. Even the GPU is the same old videocore with no h.265 support.

Not sure of your source but asrtechnica.com reports that

Pi 3 also has a graphics upgrade, using Broadcom’s 400MHz VideoCore IV, rather than last year’s 250MHz version. The new hardware will support 1080p video at 60fps using the H.264 format, up from 30fps. The new Pi also gains H.265 support for the first time but is limited to 1080p at 30fps.

Not sure of your source but asrtechnica.com reports that
Its the same gpu with higher clocks which means the performance difference would be at max 10-20%. The H.265 decoding is in software.

The Videocore gpu doesn't have a hardware h.265 decoding block unlike modern mobile chipsets.

I can understand why they chose to not upgrade the GPU as the videocore IV is the only truly open GPU out there but still the performance is a few generations behind even basic mobile phone chipsets.

I have the first gen RPi (Model B) which I use exclusively as a download rig. Does it make sense for me to upgrade to the RPi 3? It would free up some space and reduce wires on my desk (thanks to the WiFi) but I will have to setup everything again and yes... also pay for the new setup!

Back