Audio Re2 problem + new IEMs around 3k

jjoyz

Disciple
I have a Head Direct Re2 alongwith the e5 amp..The earphones were working fine until the right one stopped working.Its the second time that this is happening.They were in warranty the first time and I got them replaced at lynx.Now, the warranty is off so they can't be replaced.

From what I've read, there might be a problem with the jack that connects the earphones with the amp..I can't solder or do anything of the kind so can it be fixed in a shop or something or will I be wasting my time looking for such a thing(If at all, the problem lies there)?

If it can't be fixed I'd have to buy new ones and my budget is around 3k.I can stretch it if it is REALLY worth it.

I loved the highs of the re2 but it lacked a bit of bass which was compensated to an extent by the amp and the equalizer..I like listening to mainly rock and metal plus it will be used for watching movies and games..

I really liked the re2 but I don't want to buy the same ones again because the warranty is only 90 days and I don't want to buy another pair soon.

I have a few options and I'm confused on what to buy if at all i need to buy.
Klipsch S4i -
Head Direct RE0 -
Sound magic PL50
Nuforce NE-7M

Now, I don't want the e5 to go to waste.The s4i is already high on bass so it wouldn't be needing the amp and will the e5 be enough to drive the re0?
That leaves me with the pl50 and I think it'll work well with the e5.
Also, theres the brainwavz m2 but I can't wait for 15-20 days.

So,will the pl50 be the right choice or should i forget about the amp and get the s4i? (mic is a welcome feature but not a neccessity)

Also, I'm willing to spend more for the s4i only if it is better or an upgrade from the re2,e5/pl50,e5 combo.
Confusion,Confusion,Confusion. Please help.
Thank you.

PL-50 is a pretty good alternative but its sound signature is nothing like the RE-2. It isn't as much balanced and the mids are lot more warm and upfront ,highs are pretty much similar. Bass is somewhat like RE-2 +E5 once you get a proper fit.Soundstage is slightly wider than RE2 :)

NE6/NE7 could be your perfect alternative but again though it has an amazing bass and pretty good midrange the highs are slightly recessed and less detailed compared to RE-2.Its the bass that will make you :O.

Brainwavz M2 would be the perfect upgrade for you but since you are not comfortable waiting for 15-20 days for product its out of the list I guess. Its detailing is far more superior than RE-2/NE6 and most probably even the Klipsch S4.The M2 have a very nice smooth and warm balanced sound with good bass. The bass is better in terms of quantity as well as in terms of detailing and punchy than the PL-50,RE2 etc but less in quantity compared to NE6.

You could consider the Klipsch S4 as well but its not very balanced as such .I haven't tried it but from what Ive read it seems to have a slight mid bass hump.The detailing etc seems to be pretty good .Comfort wise Klipsch are regarded as one of the best .

Hope this helps you to decide :).

you can replace the standard jack with a more sturdy metal one..i had a similar problem with my re0..i got it replaced in Singapore...but soldering is a simple procedure..ure local electric repair shop will be able to do it well..

The jack that i got was made by a company called Rean..it cost me 15s$(roughly rs480-500).. Google it...

if ure satisfied with the performance of the re2 then u can save ure money and maybe spend on a far better iem in the future

How long has it been since you've bought the RE2? A few of us have got our RE2 replaced even after the 90 day warranty was over. Ask Amarbir if he is willing to RMA.

Thank you for the replies.
@ Fah33m..thanks..your reply would help a lot in making my decision.
@ viralbug..I bought it in october 2009.
@ aashish07..well,i don't know if I can find such a jack here.
@ metalspree..on their site it says 30 days refund and 90 days replacement.

I sent someone to lynx and they said it can't be replaced..

^ Getting it replaced from Head-direct is a different case altogether .If you have the paypal receipt they help you out even after warranty is over.

contact the customer service at head-direct...do you still have the lynx's receipt with you?...The head-direct ppl are always willing to help..and if it still under a yr they might replace it..will only cost you rs300-400 for the shipping/courier

Back