Real Estate - Not a good investment?

Oh some of you do not have any clue about property buying with constraints, do you? I mean are you married and have kids?
Well I am at a stage that I can afford a decent house in Bangalore easily but I am not contemplating the option. Why?

1. Investing money in something as panicky as real estate is risky.
2. Even if I buy a house, I will when I can repay the loan amount in less than 6 years. ( Yes, that is how I think ).
3. Your first aim should be to get a house to live, creature comforts come second. So, I do not want to buy all the masala added flats with Helipad and Lake front and what not. It is hogwash.
4. Even if I buy a house, I lose the flexibility of moving around as per needs of my office or wife's office or kid's education plan.
5. You people have no idea how difficult it is to sell a property. Some are lucky but some also end up losing money.
6. My aim is to get a bare minimum house in correct location with no frills attached.
7. Looking at current state of mine, I am sure I will be able to afford a small house no matter where market goes.

^ I'm not even thinking about what you called "masala added flats".. I'm thinking more in terms of seeing whether real estate is worth the pain considering a whole lot of pulls and pressures... (It's like running a government in India - too many things to consider :p)

Investing in real estate (buying a home specifically) is not all 'hunky dory' as the elders make it out to be.. People from a previous gen have this notion that buying a house is perhaps the best investment one can make in life and over the past few days/weeks, I'm beginning to understand that its quite the contrary!

I'd love to see more people pitch in with their opinion - I for one, am finding this discussion really intriguing...

First rule of investment, diversify.
You do not want to keep all your eggs in one basket alone. Spread them out in Share market, in metals, Deposits, Mutual funds and so on.

Investing in real estate (buying a home specifically) is not all 'hunky dory' as the elders make it out to be.. People from a previous gen have this notion that buying a house is perhaps the best investment one can make in life and over the past few days/weeks, I'm beginning to understand that its quite the contrary!
Well for the most part the last gen saved for years in a PF before buying a house. That meant growing old and buying one. Nowadays we have people who start to worry about in the moment they turn 28...12 yrs from 40 and all :p

Back