Recommend a network card for home use (Triband)

Kneo

Adept
It looks like my onboard LAN adapter has gone kaput (although pings to local loopback work fine and the slot does light up when I plug in the ethernet wire)

Can you recommend an ethernet card that I can buy to use the Triband connection that I have? Whats the approximate cost of a wired and a wireless card? Ideally I would want to have a wireless card having a wired ethernet slot too for future upgradability (I may buy a wireless router in around 6 months).

Also is there any reliable way to check the onboard LAN adapter of my PC. Unfortunately I cannot connect it to any network other than Triband and that doesnt seem to be working (cannot ping the router - explained in a separate thread)

^^ Bump

Can someone please help? I need to resolve this issue today (going to the exchange to haggle with the engineers there about the usability of my LAN adapter). They seem to be hell bent on saying that the problem is with my PC and not their router

^^ Bump

I just need to know 2 things

1. How do we verify that the onboard LAN has gone bust?

2. Which network card is recommended for home use (Triband) - I do night downloads regularly.

Kneo said:
1. How do we verify that the onboard LAN has gone bust?
As you said the ping to local loopback is working fine, it means that network drivers are working fine. It may me some problem in the cat5 cable connecting to your PC and Router.
Also it can also be a kaput RJ45 jack's pin on your mobo which can be causing a pain. Try to change cable and test, or arrange a spare lan card from ur friend and check :)

Kneo said:
2. Which network card is recommended for home use (Triband) - I do night downloads regularly.
Ideally a wifi network adaptor doesn't have a RJ45 port in it ( as far as all the wifi card i have seen ). wifi card enables you to connect to a hotspot a/b/g (can be at your house if you have one :D ).
If you are planning for a wireless connectivity you have to buy a access point also for it.
I would suggest for now; go for a netgear or elcheapo intex card which retails @200 bucks.

Back