CPU/Mobo Recommend an AM4 motherboard (large)

Arya

Adept
I have a NAS/Docker machine running unRaid. Currently I am using an HBA card which is occupying the lone PCIe x16 slot on the A320 motherboard. Processor is 3400G which I don't plan to change unless completely necessary.

I need a motherboard with 3 PCIe x16 slots:

1. RTX 3XXX GPU for running ML/Cuda load
2. RX 480 (Optional - for plex transcoding)
3. HBA card.

I am ok with a used motherboard. If its more than INR 15,000 I would go with a motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slots. Main requirement is spacing between GPU and the HBA card (it gets really hot).

Any pointers would be helpful. TIA.

I have a NAS/Docker machine running unRaid. Currently I am using an HBA card which is occupying the lone PCIe x16 slot on the A320 motherboard. Processor is 3400G which I don't plan to change unless completely necessary.

3. HBA card.

I am ok with a used motherboard. If its more than INR 15,000 I would go with a motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slots. Main requirement is spacing between GPU and the HBA card (it gets really hot).

MSI X570 TOMAHAWK Wifi II

3. HBA card.

Your 3400G only has 8 PCIe lanes instead of 16 from the CPU. I'm not sure if getting a X470 or X570 motherboard and splitting the primary x16 to 2 times x8 will work. Even if it does split to say x4 and x4, both your GPUs might be constrained. You'll get a x4 link via the chipset for the HBA for the third slot anyway.

Maybe you should consider getting a cheap non APU processor alongwith the motherboard so you can get the full 16 PCIe lanes

Last edited:
MSI X570 TOMAHAWK Wifi II
Too expensive at 25k. At this price I would want a board with 3 x16 slots. I will start looking for cheaper board with 2 x16 slots
Your 3400G only has 8 PCIe lanes instead of 16 from the CPU.
Good point. I am open to changing the CPU if it became a bottleneck. Hadn't thought of the PCIe lane limitation, thanks for that. Everything will not be in use all the time except the HBA card. GPUs will be on passthrough to VMs and its okay even if they work at slightly slower speed. I just need to cram them on that board.

Good point. I am open to changing the CPU if it became a bottleneck. Hadn't thought of the PCIe lane limitation, thanks for that. Everything will not be in use all the time except the HBA card. GPUs will be on passthrough to VMs and its okay even if they work at slightly slower speed. I just need to cram them on that board.
A X470 motherboard should be enough for your needs then. For example my X470 gaming plus has 3 of pcie x16 slots, top 2 can be split x8 each from the cpu and last one has x4 from chipset. Anything more in terms of motherboard will be overkill.

Back