Recommend Entry Level Digital Cam

Josh

Skilled
Bumping this thread coz i wanted to buy a Entry Level Digicam myself. Just point and shoot types. So A430 is decent enough ?

Budget = 8 Kish :p

Requirement = Entry Level Digicam, No memory card needed as of now.

I have a 512 MB card. From the pics on jjmehta it looks like a normal MMC card right ? The one u can use with Nokia phones?

Hows the Nikon Coolpix series ?

Nikon Coolpix L3

(5 Megapixel, 3x Optical Zoom, Compact) = 8K without mem card. ?

A freind of mine has used the L4 and the L1 personally. Both are good cameras for their price. L4 sells at around 7~7.5k and L1 at 9.5~10k without bill and memory card. 2 NiMh batteries with a charger are included though.

Between the L1/L3/L4, there is not much difference except the megapixels each sport. Also, L1 and L3 support movie audio while L4 doesnt. So, it better to give L4 a pass.

The L3 with 5MP, 3x Optical zoom, 2" LCD, 23MB 'on-board' memory is a good buy for ~8k. the other model worth considering is Canon A530, though it might be expensive than the L3 by atleast 2k. The extra 2~2.5k u pay for the A530 is for the 2yr warranty from Canon India. Worth it or not, ur call :D

Oh the Nikon series are without warranty ?? Also i can extend budget to consider A530.

One more noob question... I have a tripod from my old Nikon SLR camera. I believe all tripods can fit all cameras right?

So what should i go for ?

A530 or Nikon Coolpix ?

Also anyone knows any good shops in Pune ?? (Appo ?? )

Check this. Prices from Mysore.
Nikon L1 with bill - ~16.5k
Nikon L1 grey - ~9.5k; 2.5k more and i'll get 2 cameras!!! :rofl:

But thing is the cameras from nikon n canon have good build quality. U dont use a digicam everyday (may be in the beginning u will, but it'll wear off soon) like u wud use a mobile phone, so the chances of a camera breaking down are quite low, IMO. I've been using a Fuji S5500 (bot from JJmehta, without bill) for a year and half and its still going gr8.

Somehow i dont feel it is justified to pay almost double for a Nikon to get local warranty. On the other hand Canon is quite VFM with bill/local warranty. Also, JJMehta provides 3-month warranty which should be good enough. If a cam doesnt break in the 1st 3 months, chances of it going kaput (unless u break/mishandle it) are very low, IMHO. its upto u to decide whether u want warranty or u r willing to take that risk. :)

TheMask said:
Check this. Prices from Mysore.
Nikon L1 with bill - ~16.5k
Nikon L1 grey - ~9.5k; 2.5k more and i'll get 2 cameras!!! :rofl:
:O Looks like Nikon takes care of warranty pretty well. They seem to have insured themselves with the customer paying for 2 cameras, so that the other one can be redeemed in case of warranty issues.

But i would like to have warranty if 2K is what i have to pay extra. So A530 it is ?
Or is there any other model anyone can suggest.
Also is there any end to the megapixel run ? I mean 5 better than 4...6 better than 5.. But DO I REALLY NEED IT ?

Josh said:
Also is there any end to the megapixel run ? I mean 5 better than 4...6 better than 5.. But DO I REALLY NEED IT ?
Answer would be NO! Infact most often a pic taken at 2MP is more than enough!! higher numbers play the trick in selling the cameras, nothing more.
Higher MP give u the capability of taking pics at higher resolution shud u need to take a blown-up print. Otherwise, 1600x1200 resolution (translates to around 2MP) is more than enough. Afterall, when u r viewing the pics on the comp, u wud hardly be viewing at 1600x1200 resolution. ;)

Unless u wanna be pro, in which case u wudn't be looking at digicams in the first place :p, a decent 3MP cam (since they are kinda obsolete now, 4/5MP forms the base) suffices to most people's needs.

I have almost decided on A530. Some more questions.

I have a 512MB MMC card. So i will not be buying a memory card as of now. So are the prices listed at jjmehta any indication of real market price ??

Also where in Pune can i buy this ? Has anyone got idea of a good shop ?

Thanks...

Let it be a bit slower, when he as MMC why not use it?
buying SD is waste of money.

next year is my another cousins marriage, i'm planning to get a cam too...
same around 10k budget i guess, but i'm wondergin analog or digital?

My dad had Asai Pentex but dont have it with him now, he hates digital cameras lol and hes has a hobby.

Thanks super. :)

A530 supports both SD and MMC. But since i already have a MMC card so i though maybe i will buy a SD some months down the line. Though the camera comes with a 16MB MMC only :(

What are the prices of 1GB MMC and 1GB SD ?? Looks like i will sell the MMC and try to get some SD card.

Also some shop in Pune where i can get the cam ?

Josh said:
Also where in Pune can i buy this ? Has anyone got idea of a good shop ?

Thanks...

theres a shop called digital fantasy (weird name huh?:bleh: )
his rates r much better than jjmehta, has stock of nearly all cams...
not a grey market dealer

@masky: Nah not bough it still. I went to a shop in Nucleas mall. He said 530 has been stopped some time ago.

Though he said he has limited offer on some power shot models. A new model 603 is selling like hot cakes he said.

603 : 6 MP, 3 X optical. Very sleek. 2.5in LCD. for 13999 with a 256 MB card and charger. One thing i liked in it was it has direct DC in. Though i dont know about other cameras but it can be charged directly with the charger. Though u can also take the rechargable battery out.

It looks very much like the 630 ( with 10x optical , and dual lenses ). Though it has single lens.

Maybe i will get this, but its too sleek for my linking.

S3 IS was for 26K.

josh ....do u mean kodak v603? if it is, then i m also planning to get it from nucleus mall..."digital life" shop.they ve nice offer going on till 25th dec.but before getting it, i just want to conform if this model doesnt ve more cons than pros.if u r getting tht model from any other shop with less price, then let me know.thanks

josh ...tht camera is having lithium batteries and cams carrying lithium batteries r charged directly and u get charger with the package. u dont ve to buy separately unlike for ni batteries.

it is having schneider lens and it is better than sony lens.

Back