Budget 31-40k Recommend me a laptop

techygeek

Adept
Hey guys,

I need you all to recommend me a laptop in the range of about 35k-40k

I am a web developer, No gaming whatsover (won't mind if a decent gpu fits in the budget)
Minimum Requirements will be 3rd gen Ci5 , 4GB RAM, and a 7200rpm drive if possible. (space is not a big requirement , dont sotre movies and all)
Screen size should be 15.6"

I will be buying around the end of december. I need recommendation so that will look out for offers and then grab one.

Since you don't need too much power you can go for a Thinkpad.

I recently got one for sis.
The build quality is extremely good and the keyboard is undoubtedly best in class.

Otherwise Dell Inspiron 15R is another decent option and the service is also usually good in case of Dell.

Just curious, are you really expecting a serious response?

You seem have it pretty much figured out on your own, though I would suggest go with the onboard GPU, think of res full HD or lower and how much memory you would need ?

Actually the things that confuse me are
- does a 7200rpm drive make a big difference over the 5400?
- howz the performance of the onboard HD4000? (lets say max the laptop should be able to play is FIFA 13 and its successors for a year or two)
- also does swapping the hard drive void warranty?

Can you guys have a look at HP 4540s HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/8GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
@ALPHA17 @Jakob

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the things that confuse me are
- does a 7200rpm drive make a big difference over the 5400?
- howz the performance of the onboard HD4000? (lets say max the laptop should be able to play is FIFA 13 and its successors for a year or two)
- also does swapping the hard drive void warranty?

Can you guys have a look at HP 4540s HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/8GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook
@ALPHA17 @Jakob

@techygeek here are a few laptops that I suggest (based of the AMD APU platform) --
Their battery life would be equivalent to the Intel Core i5's, graphical performance is better and day to day tasks will be butter smooth.

Here are your answers --
  • A 5400RPM drive has a significant drop in performance but also save a lot on the power front (good when battery-life is a premium)
  • Performance of the HD4000 by Intel is acceptable but the AMD iGP outstrips it by miles
  • Yes, it does.
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

@ALPHA17
How is the amd cpu compared to intel i5?
a lot of difference in processing power?

I will be running apache mysql on this and that does require more of processing power.

and eclipse netbeans and other programming IDEs

gaming is secondary.

I can spend upto 40k

@ALPHA17
How is the amd cpu compared to intel i5?
a lot of difference in processing power?

I will be running apache mysql on this and that does require more of processing power.

and eclipse netbeans and other programming IDEs

gaming is secondary.

I can spend upto 40k

^^ Are mysql and the other applications you plan to use -- multi-threaded, lightly-threaded OR single-thread operation?
Depending on that either the performance will be at par, inferior OR markedly inferior vis-á-vis the Intel i5 based offering.

I understand gaming is secondary, else you would have purchased a desktop.

@ALPHA17
MySQL and apache both have to be multithreaded to handle multiple connections.
But for a single connection they should be single threaded.

So i should go for a Core i5 right?

If yes then will compromise on the GPU maybe.

and after your reply I am going for a 5400rpm drive only. Files I use will not be that large enough to make much of a difference

@ALPHA17
MySQL and apache both have to be multithreaded to handle multiple connections.
But for a single connection they should be single threaded.

So i should go for a Core i5 right?

If yes then will compromise on the GPU maybe.

and after your reply I am going for a 5400rpm drive only. Files I use will not be that large enough to make much of a difference

I think the APU will do fine for you. Let other users pitch in. Cheers!

Decide to go for i5 laptop with a GPU other than onboard HD 4000

2 laptops worth considering

Lenovo Essential G580 (59-324058) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph): Flipkart.com

Samsung NP300E5X-S01IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph): Flipkart.com

The Samsung One is only USB 2.0 but has 250GB more HDD space. Also Samsung has one year extended warranty offer.

Should I factor the presence/absence of USB 3.0 ports in the decision making process?

Also any general insights into Lenovo or Samsung ?

Both the laptops you mentioned have 610M which is the worse dGPU you can have. Even HD4000 will make it cry.

If you really want good dGPU, go for HP 2016tx, best balanced config in this bracket or Inspiron 15r (albeit a bit costlier). (1k less for a OS-less version).

PS: 7200 and 5400 rpm won't make day and night difference, at least in dev works.

@JuGGa

How about I go for HD 4000 only then?

I do not game at all. The dGPU was only for my brother who would play FIFA 13 and the other games of the franchise. If FIFA runs at even medium/low settings it will do.
I would rather add a GPU to my desktop for my brother.

You have the budget for a laptop with dGPU (42k for 2016tx). If at all you want to save money, then I'd say go for, 4540s ProBook. You will get it locally for ~36-37k. ProBook has got one of the best built quality and finish.

Ok had gone to a few physical stores to check out.

Dint like the G6 2016tx because of the lack of a numpad and also the design.

Btw I forgot to mention battery life will be important. I am going to Coimbatore which fellow memebers said can have close to 12 hours power cut.

Now I am considering the following

http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-idea...a2f3&srno=t_1&otracker=from-search&query=z580

Love the look of it. lot of accessories. backpack. 40k ( i think i saw cheaper one)

Samsung NP300E5C-A02IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win7 HB): Flipkart.com

has 250GB more HDD space + free extended warranty for 2nd year by samsung. backpack. Price : 36k

HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com

as @JuGGa said best quality and finish. but no accessories or backpack from flipkart. getting it at 37220

Lenovo Ideapad Z580 (59-333346) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB): Flipkart.com

has the 630m GPU . get all the backpack accessories and stuff. getting it locally for 42k

Only thing in samsung's favor is the second year extended warranty. the extra 250Gb does not matter much to me.

Ok had gone to a few physical stores to check out.

Dint like the G6 2016tx because of the lack of a numpad and also the design.

Btw I forgot to mention battery life will be important. I am going to Coimbatore which fellow memebers said can have close to 12 hours power cut.

Now I am considering the following

Lenovo Ideapad Z580 (59-333647) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB): Flipkart.com

Love the look of it. lot of accessories. backpack. 40k ( i think i saw cheaper one)

Samsung NP300E5C-A02IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ Win7 HB): Flipkart.com

has 250GB more HDD space + free extended warranty for 2nd year by samsung. backpack. Price : 36k

HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com

as @JuGGa said best quality and finish. but no accessories or backpack from flipkart. getting it at 37220

Lenovo Ideapad Z580 (59-333346) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB): Flipkart.com

has the 630m GPU . get all the backpack accessories and stuff. getting it locally for 42k

Only thing in samsung's favor is the second year extended warranty. the extra 250Gb does not matter much to me.

Back