Budget 90k+ Recommendations for home lab

emardee

Recruit
Hi,

Please suggest suitable configuration for a desktop home lab.Plan is to use the system to run multiple Virtual Machines for self learning about cyber security.

Hi,

Please suggest suitable configuration for a desktop home lab.Plan is to use the system to run multiple Virtual Machines for self learning about cyber security.

Where are you located and what is your budget and for what parts? Just the desktop or other things like monitor etc?

I don't have detailed recommendation but obviously for your budget you should ...

1. prioritise more RAM
2. I suggest Ryzen Zen3
3. Prefer older generation AMD GPU for less hassle with Linux.
4. I prefer Asus mobos again for least hassle with Linux.

But let others chime in...

I myself bought a pre assembled Zen2 threadripper 3970x for similar use case, mostly VMs and fast code compilation, not really cybersecurity, from this business in Pune called Gtek who I'm very happy with.

Unless you want to DIY or have local sources you can ask them for a quote based on what you finalise.

Personally I wanted to avoid the hassle and risks of DIY.

I'm in Bangalore. Budget around 1lakh. I have a spare monitor, not would need everything else desktop system +keyboard etc.
Given your budget I would recommend something like the AMD 7900 .While it keeps your window to upgrades open(being Am5 and all), It has a lot of cores and threads without the P cores and E cores sh*t. It's a 65W chip so even with you loading all the cores, it's carbon footprint(electricity bill) remaining to a minimum.

I suggested Zen3 instead of Zen4 mainly due to more RAM and I guess DDR5 is still significantly more expensive than DDR4 ? Performance matters less than the mem capacity I guess for VM use case.

Back