Recommendations needed for burglar alarm system. My experience while searching so far

nemo_online

Disciple
I want a burglar alarm system for installation in a house in Guwahati, Assam with two senior citizens. I have looked at different companies online so far but their initial approach itself has left me disappointed.
Godrej flaunts itself as a market leader but doesn't have a helpline or contact number where they can be reached. Have a WhatsApp number where the minute you put a message, there is an automated message asking for a "review" for their services. :banghead: Edit: Finally, found a working number for Godrej and they have promised that the sales team will get back within 2 days. Let's see.
Reached out to few others such as Secureye and DFS. DFS is beyond my budget and more importantly, they do not have a provision for site visit. I got a quotation from them but doubt I require all the things mentioned by them in it. They will suggest items based on how you describe the house to them and then some 3rd party installer will go and install that for you. :meh:
Spoke to the secureye guy in Guwahati ( regional office) and will speak to him again. He asked me to go for a wired system instead of wireless and also said because of the ongoing monsoons, house visit will be delayed. It's been 4 days now, so planning to give him a call. Ideally, any pro-active sales guy should have given me the call and taken it forward from there. But then...:rolleyes:
Tried Hikvision but none of their numbers given on their website work. :bawling:

Bottomline - my quick observations as a small-time digital marketer - 1. Home security systems are a niche in India where companies are dime a dozen but even the big players have not made any effort to be seen or heard online.
2. Token presence of a website and some contact numbers that seldom work are there. So much for digital marketing.
3. Content which can be a crucial part of marketing for these companies, for e.g. videos explaining how security systems actually work, guides for first-time consumers, etc. is missing.

Last edited:
Try contacting Eureka Forbes (https://www.eurekaforbes.com/lifestyle-solutions). I had their system in 2007. It was very professional too. I had motion sensor PIR detectors, magnetic door alarms, Panic buzzers etc. All of it came to around 50K at that time. They had an AMC for ₹1,400 and their service was good. Any time there is an intrusion I used to get a phone call from them on my mobile number informing me which door was opened or where the breach occurred. (Generally, an unlocked / not fully shut door at night would open up due to strong wind or the children open the main door by mistake past the alarm time.) The whole system was wired. The system was from Bosch. They later had systems that could work with both wired and wireless units.

Unfortunately, the system I had installed at that time was based on a landline phone connection. As BSNL stopped service in my area (unable to repair copper wires underground and lack of subscribers) I had to give up the AMS. I can now use the system as a standalone unit and if there is a breach a loud siren will blast the neighbourhood. That should be enough to scare the thieves and alert neighbours.

I cannot vouch for their service now. I do not even know if they are in the business today.

Any update on what you finally settled on? Fellow Guwahatian here :p
Hello :) . So went the old-school way after getting unsatisfactory/ no responses from the different companies I contacted. My mom's friendly neighbourhood jewellery shop recommended a security guy who had installed cameras in his shop. Got his number, contacted him, and got a favorable quotation and promise of decent after-sales service. Cameras are installed now and working fine to the best of my knowledge.
Moral of the story is - Big companies don't care about home security solutions in "remote" places like Guwahati. Always have to rely on your goodwill with a local person.

Hello :) . So went the old-school way after getting unsatisfactory/ no responses from the different companies I contacted. My mom's friendly neighbourhood jewellery shop recommended a security guy who had installed cameras in his shop. Got his number, contacted him, and got a favorable quotation and promise of decent after-sales service. Cameras are installed now and working fine to the best of my knowledge.
Moral of the story is - Big companies don't care about home security solutions in "remote" places like Guwahati. Always have to rely on your goodwill with a local person.
Can you please give the details of your setup? What did it cost?

Hey, so I got 7 outdoor 3MP IP cameras with inbuilt motion sensors and the other requisite material such as hard drive, board, wiring etc. for around 48K. This included installation charges as well.

Hey, so I got 7 outdoor 3MP IP cameras with inbuilt motion sensors and the other requisite material such as hard drive, board, wiring etc. for around 48K. This included installation charges as well.
What are the make and models of the cameras? How many cameras does your DVR/NVR support?

What are the make and models of the cameras? How many cameras does your DVR/NVR support?
Hey, sorry for the delayed response. The make is true view. I don't know the model numbers. I just know that there are 2 dome cameras and 5 Bullet cameras. Camera support is up to 9 cameras on the DVR I guess. Again not sure.

Back