Recommended wifi modem for MTNL Broadband

Hi,

I want to replace my existing ADSL modem provided by MTNL with a wifi modem.

Could someone let me know the brand name and model number (and may be the price) of some wifi modem which I can use with MTNL (Delhi) ?

Also will that modem be sufficient for wifi based smart phones?

- Peace

I am using Linksys WAG120N for the past 1 year and am completely satisfied by the performance.
I had bought it for 3.3k but you might be able to get one below 3K now. There are other alternatives in the entry level models from other manufacturers below the 3K mark too. wait for more options.

Any wifi router/modem will be sufficient for wifi based smart phones.

@OP

You may get the wifi from MTNL themselves. They dont even have any extra monthly charges too i guess. I am using their ADSL modem+wifi router unit and satisfied with its performance.

+1 to what raksrules said. There is a minimal monthly charge if you're plan is not unlimited though. Availability of units with the local exchange might also be an issue. No harm in trying :)

i have exactly the same query as the @OP. Can anyone share how is MTNL Delhi's wifi modem/router, what are they charging. Currently I am paying Rs50 monthly rent for this adsl, and using this connection for more than 3yrs now. I heard its Rs75 for wireless router, right ??

As i may use this connection for more 2-3 yrs from now, is it not advisable to go for wifi modem/router by self ?

I am using the MTNL wireless modem and the range on this just plain sucks. I am not even able to get a signal in another room which is not even 25ft away from where the modem is placed. And since MTNL will charge you around 1000 bucks for installation plus 75 per month from there on, I think its best to invest in a good wifi router for future use.

Any configuration is needed to be done from MTNL end or i can simply replace my current adsl modem to wireless one...??
Need a detailed process guide.

I would recommend, Dlink 2640U, you can get it for Rs.2500, its modem cum Wifi router and has settings for MTNL/BSNL and other ISPs preconfigured. Have been using it since a month and finding it good. Had to go for it as MTNL now charges Rs.50 rent for the wired router.

Back