Reg linksys wireless router

uefa_007

Disciple
Hey ,

I have a pretty old Linksys Wireless WAG54G router. (Wireless - G ADSL Gateway).

I havent used it in a long while.

When i connect the power and connect the lan cable to computer, the computer still displays "Network cable not connected".

I have tried various cables.

The power light and wlan light alone is Green

None of 1, 2, 3, 4 Lan light is green. (tried resetting it too)

The router is out of warranty .

Is the router dead ? Should i throw it ?

Try a loopback test between any two ports on the router and check if any lights come on. Are you able to connect the computer to any other router/switch and get it to show that it is connected?? How did you reset the device? Try resetting it by holding down the reset button for 60 seconds.

The WAG54G isn't a router. It's a gateway(Modem + router).

Try a loopback test between any two ports on the router and check if any lights come on. Are you able to connect the computer to any other router/switch and get it to show that it is connected?? How did you reset the device? Try resetting it by holding down the reset button for 60 seconds.

Did you try replacing the lan cable ?. For your modem AFAIK there must be power, WLAN, ETHERNET, DSL leds. 1st try resetting the modem as EDRIL suggested.

Then check the telephone cable which connects to the DSL port of your gateway. Since you say that other lights except the power and wan lights are off, there is no DSL signal input. Check the cable with telephone and see if you get dial tone. If you dont, then check the end which goes to your filter input. Do all steps to ensure that there isnt any problem with either the filter or the cable. Then you have to check the connection between the pc and the gateway. If you have a laptop you can try connecting it wirelessly. If you are able to find it in your laptop, then the wireless function is OK. If all these checks fail, then its obvious that your gateway has gone bad.

As a final measure, you can try flashing your gateway.

Good luck

If all works fine as suggested above, reset the tcp/ip/winsock pool in OS and check for LAN card drivers,try updating it, check for LAN port damage in system port.

Edrill said:

Thanks a lot for replying.(To all the posters in this thread)

I have done the following:

1) I have reset the router by holding the reset button for 30 secs.

2) I have 2 other routers: Beetle 220bx and bxi with airtel and bsnl connections , both of them are working fine.

3) The Lan slot in my computer is fine since i have these connections.

4) i have tried different lan cables.

5) I have tried the loop back test . I dont know exactly what it means. I have connected one end of lan cable to slot 1 behind the router and the other end in slot 2 behind the router.

Now the following lights are on:
1) Power 2) WLAN 3) ADSL 4)ACT light occasionally
Lan Slot 1 & 2 Constantly blinking.

What does this mean ?

Thanks a lot for the help, guys !

As per the results, all looks fine, router hardware is ok , system and the OS may be an issue.

Hey dude,i work for linksys tech support,this is a preety old gateway,and is end of life as per linksys..the problem with Wag54g,v1 & Wag54g v1.2 is that after a specified period of time,the lan ports don't work...you can try changing your card speed from 100mbps full duplex to 10 mbps half duplex or try resetting the device for 3 minutes..if that works..well and wonderful if not your bad luck.:p
Feel free to ask me any questions regarding linksys or cisco products,would be more than happy to help you.:hap2:

I think it looks like a connection issue. (Half/Full)

What are the specs on the gateway?What is the max speed it supports?What are the specs of other routers you mentioned?

-Rahul Mengale

Yep, the only thing left to do is try changing the card speed to 10Mbps half duplex. If that doesn't help, like sns1225 said, it's an old device and you're outta luck.

Thanks a lot guys !

I called up Airtel to send a person down here and the person they sent down here was brilliant !

As of now the wireless gateway is working ;) .

He did the following:
Reset the router -> Same network cable unplugged -> Then unplugged lan cable from behind the computer and plugged it once again .

Voila ! It got detected.

Changed the settings in routers config page. Connected to Internet, wifi was also working :) . Switched the router off and on again. It did not work.

Again reset the router, went through the same process. Did not connect to Internet. I said its ok and that it is pretty old. He said " I will configure it Sir" ! :)

He was keeping on changing the settings. Configured it once again. Internet started working. He switched it off and On again. It did not work !

Again reset the router. Went through each page of router settings. Configured each page. Internet connected. He switched it off and On again. But this time his persistence worked ! It started working !

The next part shook me up ! He switched it off once again, waited for a min, switched it on again !

The Internet works brilliantly! Wifi with wep key configured ! Tried it in Blackberry and works awesome !

2 problems i face currently (Which i can live with ;) ) :

1) It takes about 4 to 5 minutes to router to switch on with all lights !

2) When i switch on, the lan light does not blink, so he asked me to change ports behind the router and that way it works !

Any ways i can solve that ?

I did contact Linksys customer care however after 2 hrs of discussion they asked me to junk it !

All thanks to the Airtel guy who was brilliant and took lot of effort for a problem he did not have to !

Thanks to u guys also :p !!

Can i share folders , printer through this wireless gateway ? (PC to laptop)
(How do i do that ? )

Back