Storage Solutions Regarding HDD with bad sectors

flash23

Adept
Since Seagate has reduced the warranty of the HDD to 1year, Im thinking what to do with drives if they develop bad sector after their warranty period. Most of the HDD I think will develop bad sectors after a year, but then due to lack of warranty it cant be RMAed. You are constantly in the fear of losing you data or worse unable to use your PC in case of a single HDD system.

With HDD prices still sky high and only speculation of minor price drops, what are the possible way outs from this situation since:

1. You cant sell them, even if you are able to you will not be getting a good price.

2. Your system acts funny and performance takes a hit.

3. Its a nuisance to press the enter key every time you start your system

I know that this situation will occur after a year only, you might be aware of guys having severe bad luck with their products failing just the next day when the warranty expires, I was hoping of a good solution other than the obvious to "Back up your data and purchase a good drive", well even in this situation what to of the bad HDD other than leaving it to gather dust.

Switch to the biggest capacity SSD (128/256) as a primary drive where your most important data goes and use the other HDD for non important content.

This is currently the only *highly* expensive option available!
<

And btw, I believe that games, movie rips, NSFW material etc. is the 'non important content'!!
<

Also, the other (rather lame) option would be to sell the drive after every 11 months and buy a new drive! That way, we can have a perpetual warranty at a small cost!
<

And btw, I believe that games, movie rips, NSFW material etc. is the 'non important content'!!
<

To what extent, in most of the cases "Work" material may not extend more than ~20GB, but once you get a hang of having tons of free space available you can download whatever you can without worrying for space. Also it will be a HUGE problem for Hoarders like me.

Anyways, how to deal with HDDs having bad sectors but out of warranty

Anyways, how to deal with HDDs having bad sectors but out of warranty

^^ Only 2 options:

1) Live with the bad sectors until the disk dies and then buy a new one.

2) Buy a new disk straightaway as soon as you spot bad sectors.

There are tools available like HDD Regenerator that claim to fix bad sectors to some extent but that may not work for all and certainly not always!

Since I still have no misfortune of a dead HDD, I want to know what exactly happens when a HDD dies.

Does it become totally inaccessible or does it sometimes give a response ?

Thats too bad, but then I would have some expensive junk to fiddle with.

^^ Once it is dead, it is no longer expensive!
<

And yes, dead means dead! No detection in the BIOS. Though sometimes, the bad sectors will remain on the drive and still the drive will pull along for a long time!

Back