PC Peripherals Regarding VIP 400W

Hey all I have a 400W Total

+3.3v - 20A
+5V - 14A
+12V1 - 14A
+12V2 - 13A

-12V - 0.3A
+5VSB - 2.5A

Recently my motherboard was making multiple beeps, and the pc was not booting, it was an asus board, on removing all components and checking my mobo actually caught fire on one side. Now the thing is im looking to get a new board n processor

I plan on getting the Phneom X 2 550 BE and a compatible motherboard.

Do you think that the current powersupply would be good enough to handle,processor, motherboard, 2 - 3 HDDs, 8800GT, cd rom, 1 chassis fan, additional lan card, 3 chips of 1 gb ram?

Do let me know the possibilities, plus sometimes a usb hdd and the normal keyboard mouse all the time..

Re: PSU Help?

its a vip... 2 years old now.... also how can i know for sure that the psu was not faulty and resulted in frying my mobo? although the mobo had given me an issue earlier and the guy who replaced the ic said it was a power related problem...

Motherboard caught fire on one side, seems strange. What about the rest of the components, are they working fine ? Put up a pic of that burnt side if possible. Unless otherwise we cannot know for sure if your PSU was faulty or not.

But honestly, with the rig you have planned, it would not be advisable to power that with this PSU of yours. The VIP is 2 years old, consider capacitor ageing and this is not a good option to go ahead with. What with the power monger 8800GT in the specs.

Please buy a better PSU for your planned precious rig. You are in Mumbai, get in touch with Bikey as he was selling two Corsair VX450 PSUs (for Rs. 2800 each) in the market section. Not sure if they are still available though.

friedclyde said:
Do you think that the current powersupply would be good enough to handle,processor, motherboard, 2 - 3 HDDs, 8800GT, cd rom, 1 chassis fan, additional lan card, 3 chips of 1 gb ram?

It will not be able to.

The vip psu 400w also killed my seagate 80gb ide drive.even when my graphic card was comparitively using lower power. You are much better off with a better power supply.
Also read an advt in recent editions of chip and digit asus provide rma for burnt products (that was marked with a * conditions apply)
Do try that.

hey thanks for the responses.... i bought a new corsair psu and mobo proccy and now a new situation has occured

heres the pic of the burnt mobo

im not gonna buy an asus product ever again this board started giving me problems in 1 year 6 months...... :(

on top of that its serial was not in good condition as i live next to the sea.... and well no warrant got it repaired once and this was next .... ty all for ur time

Back