Regretting your choice of degree?

W@rrier

Adept
Have. U ever regretted the choice u took after ur school, to join which stream?

Or perhaps regretting the decision of going for a particular PG course?

Lets discuss that here and perhaps help some people in not making the same mistake!

if you start regretting the decisions made in your life, you'll be doing just that till you cremation.

throw away the regrets and move on... nothing is THAT better than anything else when it comes to education.

_

But moving on doesn't make a wrong decision right does it?

For every mistake in our life, moving on is not the right suggestion .

Yes and no. If its done, get on with life. If you are in the process of getting the degree, stick to it as much as possible.

I now sincerely regret not taking advanced courses in roti making
<

Dont regret,learn from the experience.

Life at every point in time teaches something,just that we are too lame to comprehend it.

My situation is something like this but i look it in a different perspective. I joined Mechanical B.E but i have genuine interest towards programming and computers . Now i have two paths to choose for my future career.

U guys here are just soon damn Happy
<

I made the mistake of taking hotel management and is tortured by the decision everyday
<

you atleast are a Graduate, or have taken the course, im a college drop out and started working 6 years ago, now thinking of getting my grad done through corres, i really regret dropping out , missed many promotions cos of that

I used to, especially during 2 years drop in Diploma. I've gotten over it now.

When I took an aptitude test I was told that engineering would be difficult for me and i should take admission to a creative field such as B.Arch. I, on the other hand was only 15 and fascinated by computers. So, I didn't took admission in 11th and went to diploma.

in graduation i feel it's reasonably ok since you can mostly jump fields by getting a masters in the field you like.you can also give some crappy excuses in interviews like how technical/art/accounts helped you in some way or the other.so its all good amigos!

I dont know if my post is valid here because the title says its our choice . In my case I was literally forced to take up the degree course I never liked , It was slapped on to me just because it had / has good job oppurtunities . I had other strengths and they were never recognized by the people who should have , I feel report cards are there for a reason and do reflect mostly , what a person is suited for , I begged but nobody listened . The outcome of the course aint doing any good to me and is a mental torture everyday . But as others said , no option but to move on , however tough it is , because if you stand still , it wont do any good . Better make something out of yourself rather than nothing .

Moi: B.E in Mech. Always wanted to study mechatronics, but I guess i was too conservative to take any risks.

Made the typical shift to work in an IT company (following my sister who enjoyed long on-site stints, but i was unlucky in this regard).

IT never really was my thing, but luckily I'd worked for banking clients, so did the logical MBA in banking/finance.

Was always interested in investment banking and wealth management, and somehow landed a job in wealth management, albeit on the operations/strategy side.

Considering alI that i wanted to study was Physics when I was in school, i've been on a hugely diverted path.

Technically I've been through 4 shifts in my short career, yet I've never really regretted it. I just made sure that I try and enjoy what fate throws at me.

But along the way I've learnt to take more charge of my life. Once you decide to take charge, things change significantly.

I regret my decision of joining school... I would have rather remained uneducated (or hardly educated) and been an Indian Politician!! Even IAS officers have to salute the illiterate politicians in our nation!!
<

I took BE Mechanical because I like automobiles, after crawling through 4 years I realized I like to experience then, not to build them
<
, should have opted for E&Tc or Comp instead... But nevermind
<

Like most middle-class Indian parents, my parents too wanted me to try for Civil Services. I was lucky in the fact that they never forced me to go for it, just suggested and hinted time-to-time. I was firm that I didn't want to go down that path.
<

As I was interested in computers, I opted for I.T. for my B.E. . After 3 years of engineering, I didn't have a clue as to what I would be doing for a career.

Then I studied computer networks and immediately knew that I want to get into networking rather than programming. Finally landed a job as a systems administrator in a small-medium sized company (where I had to study and work really really hard to prove myself) and now changing my company for the first time after 2.4 years and pretty satisfied with what I have at the moment.

So, there are always twists and turns along the path. Make the best of what you have. The people who work the hardest are often the luckiest!
<

PS: There is a guy in my company who did an MBA in 2009 and joined as a business analyst in my company after 7 years in Railways as a TC
<
No point of regrets... only thing to remember is that it should not be repeated!

I would say, always do / take up things you love doing. If you make decisions based on Market value at that time for a particular course / degree instead of doing what you love to do.. You'll end up regretting it.

Back