Storage Solutions Reliability of small SSD brands

Pimpom

Disciple
Inexpensive re-branded "Indian" SSDs like those from EVM, Ant Esports, Zebronics, etc. have been around for some time. Is anyone here using or have used them? Can you share your experience, not only about performance, but also about reliability and durability?

YMMV, but if you value your data then you are better off with well known brands

YMMV, but if you value your data then you are better off with well known brands
Thanks for the reply. I have no intention of buying such drives at this time. It's more like gathering background information for future reference.

Thanks for the link too. Seems no one in that thread has experienced or heard about any early catastrophic failure of such drives so far.

Seems no one in that thread has experienced or heard about any early catastrophic failure of such drives so far.
Even then I would not trust them with any of my data. If and only if I am desperate for some cheap high capacity transient storage then I may consider EVM among the lot.

Last edited:
Not a review, but an opinion. The drives are so closely priced to ones from Crucial etc., I don't really think it makes any sense to buy them over the reputed brands. I expect that most of their sales are PC builders or non tech people who don't know what's what. You usually won't find that crowd on a forum like this, or any online place for that matter. Due to this, reviews are going to be limited, both positive and negative.

been using EVM drives, both 2.5 and nvme/sata from quiet some time and never had issues. have a couple of xpg drives die on me. Did anyone had bad experience with evm drives?

Out of those rebranded drives, EVM is normally the most reliable (I use that term loosely).

If you aren't using it to save super important data, go for it.

I would say EVM is the most reliable in the bunch... They get Hynix and Samsung chips and produce the SSD here in India while Zeb and Ant rebrand OEM stuff. EVM is kind of playing the long game here, so they have to keep their products reliable and customer support game too.

EVM is reliable, but I dont have the long term testing data for it (got some 20 of them for previous company) to update W7 to W10 machines.

My experience with ADATA has been very bad, the replacement also died. This was the boot drive for a HyperV server and nothing else.

I would say EVM is the most reliable in the bunch... They get Hynix and Samsung chips and produce the SSD here in India
There are no ssd manufacturing facilities in India as far as I know, if EVM is indeed getting hynix & samsung chips even then they are not being manufactured here.

IMO, EVM's OEM has to be a good one since people at Prime ABGB are pushing it. I've personally installed an EVM Nvme drive for a cousin's laptop, has been running as expected no issues. And since it is a data chip focused brand, (unlike the other general electoronics brands) I would say they would be good. PLUS, the give a 5 Year warranty at that price, what more can you ask for?

Would not recommend for data sensitive stuff, just to be safe, but then it is a chip after all - what brand is safe?

IMO, EVM's OEM has to be a good one since people at Prime ABGB are pushing it.
Indian retailers/shopkeepers push whatever brand giving them max margins, same reason why many offline pc shops flooded with ant esports products. Maybe EVM oem is good but that cannot be the sole the reason why primeabgb is pushing it.

And since it is a data chip focused brand, (unlike the other general electoronics brands) I would say they would be good. PLUS, the give a 5 Year warranty at that price, what more can you ask for?
What does "data chip focused" even mean, the quality of any oem product depends only on who manufactured it irrespective of who is selling it. Also, 5 years warranty is given based on marketing dept/sales dept feedback & has nothing to do with qualitty per se. Crucial BX series might as well be given 5 years warranty but they decided to give it 3 years to better differentiate & ask premium for MX series.

When I first saw how much primeabgb was pushing EVM, my thought was they must either own the company outright or have some equity in it. I don't think just margins would cause that amount of pushing tbh.

Indian retailers/shopkeepers push whatever brand giving them max margins, same reason why many offline pc shops flooded with ant esports products. Maybe EVM oem is good but that cannot be the sole the reason why primeabgb is pushing it.

What does "data chip focused" even mean, the quality of any oem product depends only on who manufactured it irrespective of who is selling it. Also, 5 years warranty is given based on marketing dept/sales dept feedback & has nothing to do with qualitty per se. Crucial BX series might as well be given 5 years warranty but they decided to give it 3 years to better differentiate & ask premium for MX series.
By that term, I mean they only make RAMs, SSDs, etc. things related to NAND. Which shows focus on the product type.

And I did not mean warranty is indicator of quality, I mean that if anything happens to it in the next 5yrs, you are at least sure that you will have a storage device.

I had installed a cheap PowerX SSD on my friends pc, he does intensive work in photoshop/coral ......1 year + no issues , opposite to my Kingston which is working but the SSD manager shows 80% efficiency just in 6 months that too when i am only use it as boot drive ........imho if you are using 128/156gb SSD for just booting then these cheap drives like powerx ,evm, ant esports is ok...but for larger capacity like 1/2tb i wont rely on these brands and will get Samsung evo series ....many reviews suggest that even other top brands like WD/Crucial have higher failure rate .

There are no ssd manufacturing facilities in India as far as I know, if EVM is indeed getting hynix & samsung chips even then they are not being manufactured here.

Assembled maybe? Not at PCB level for sure. But I guess the plastic things are injection moulded here in India. Will speak to someone in lammy who has contacts with EVM, lets see.

And I did not mean warranty is indicator of quality, I mean that if anything happens to it in the next 5yrs, you are at least sure that you will have a storage device.
I know someone having consistent ssd being replaced 2 times within 2 years. Sure there is still 3 years warranty left out of 5 but at this rate he likely would have to replace it 2-3 times more. I would rather buy a ssd with 3 years warranty with no need to visit service centre during that time.

I know someone having consistent ssd being replaced 2 times within 2 years. Sure there is still 3 years warranty left out of 5 but at this rate he likely would have to replace it 2-3 times more. I would rather buy a ssd with 3 years warranty with no need to visit service centre during that time.
Did it fail "gracefully"? Like was it complete data loss each time due to drive not detected, unreadable etc. or did it enter a read-only state where you could copy data off of it?

Back