reliability of unbranded wireless usb adapters

techfan

Disciple
i need to buy a wireless usb adapter (it has to have a rt2870sta chipset),

unbranded ones like below are about 320
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Mini-Wireles...767927?hash=item33aeaae6f7:g:kJIAAOSwL7VWpeqF

branded ones like below are about 645
http://www.flipkart.com/edimax-ew-7811un-usb-adapter/p/itmef978tcvdfrta

the edimax has 3 years warranty though i dont know the procedure for rma & if that warranty is any good. the unbranded one ofc will have 0 warranty.

i might not even end up using this so i dont want to spend too much

anyone with any experience of how good/bad these unbranded ones are?

I've used this to transfer files between pc and smartphone. The unbranded ones work fine. the file transfer speed is low though its expected coz bluetooth is used. I currently use another unbranded bluetooth dongle to turn my old stereo system bluetooth compatible. Even that too works fine .

We have 2 of them and they work well enough. Speeds are not as good as TP-Link branded ones, but they do the job for accessing shares over the network.

I've used this to transfer files between pc and smartphone. The unbranded ones work fine. the file transfer speed is low though its expected coz bluetooth is used. I currently use another unbranded bluetooth dongle to turn my old stereo system bluetooth compatible. Even that too works fine .

bluetooth ? these are usb wifi adapters. do they need bt ??

We have 2 of them and they work well enough. Speeds are not as good as TP-Link branded ones, but they do the job for accessing shares over the network.

will the speeds be good enough for HD movie streaming? how long have you had them for? as in, have they lasted?

bluetooth ? these are usb wifi adapters. do they need bt ??

will the speeds be good enough for HD movie streaming? how long have you had them for? as in, have they lasted?

We have had them for over 8-9 months now. None of them have stopped working, but speeds are not great. Plus, they do not work out of hibernation/sleep - till we installed TPLink drivers (since they have the same chipset).

Back