Storage Solutions Reliable 2TB external hard drive purely for backups

arrow004

Disciple
Have tons of data and tired of storing them on dvds.So thinking abt purchasing an external 2Tb HDD to backup all the data. Which one should i go for?

^^I second that

As a 2TB is much costlier than 2x1TB

BTW

1TB Seagate Goflex costs 6K

Get 2 of that

Are u sure u already need 2TB of space??

If not, buy 1TB Seagate GoFlex & use it till u run outa space.By that time, the prices will drop again & then u can buy another 1TB drive.....

Otherwise, go for a 2TB GoFlex....

Your call.

goflex can be used with usb 3.0 wit an additional adapter (i believe sells for 1.5k) now it doesnt exactly make sense to buy ta adapter right now but it helps to be future ready when the price for it falls..

Well already have data worth 1.4TB. So need a 2TB storage. Anyway after purchase,is it recommended to disconnect the storage drive(after transferring the data) till time for next transfer or should i keep the drive plugged into the electrical mains all the time? Does it effect the durability of the drive on way or the other?

^^ Continuous use definitely means more wear & tear for any device. If u can disconnect without affecting ur usage interests, that is always recommended.

Add to that, u'll also be saving on ur electricity bills & doing the planet a favor as well.....!!! :p

Any decent external hard drive will have built in sleep feature. If you don't access the drive for specific amount of time, it will spin down.

I suggest you get 1TB or 1.5TB drives rather than a single 2TB drive as their failure rates till now have been high, as documented by many threads on TE and countless user reviews found over the WWW.

Though these goflex series drives are equipped with usb 3 they have only 2 yr warranty, right ??. Is it not a good idea to go for freeagent series drives ??.

I would always suggest to
Get an internal 2TB harddisk and an external casing from Transcend / Sunbeam

This way, your data is saved from interface failures
If there is any failure with the interface, the external drive would be replaced, but whole 2TB of data is gone

I had this bad experience where a Seagate Freeagent drive failed in just 2 weeks. The drive was replaced with a new one, but the entire 1TB of data was gone

These days, I use internal drives with the built-in HDD dock from CM 690 II Adv
Its a brilliant option, HDD gets detected as internal drives (not esata or usb) once connected and the transfer speeds are as good as internal drives
Its not plug and play, but damn worth it, I can copy 400GB of data to it in an hours time :D

@^^ Now that is a uber cool dock. Not exactly a casing for the drive, but a lot more functional. I saw it in action and the transfer speeds were phenomenal!

Okay i am having some trouble finding this model at any shops.All they have is the Wd 1.5 Tb HDDs.So is it a gud idea to buy it online from deltapage?Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1 TB - www.deltapage.com Or will i run into any trouble in case i ever have to RMA the drive?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

One final thing i forgot to ask is which is more reliable as storage?----- the goflex desk drive or the portable version --seagate goflex ultra ---The reason i ask is some reviews mention the portable version runs cooler than the desk version thereby prolonging it's life?

Back