Remixing Softwares

Hello guys,
can u guys list some of the best and user friendly remixing softwares available :) free paid anything will do :) but it shld support like, adding beats to a song.. and all the other cool stuffs done in remixing lol
i used sound forge but its not dat remix friendly :ashamed:

~Thanks a ton!

I dunno what your knowledge of dance music is, but I personally use Ableton Live 6, what most of the pros swear by for remixes, Reason 4 for a bit of production along with Live and Virtual DJ for performances.

You might wanna start with Fruity Loops or something, its pretty easy to figure out.

hey thanks man.. i will check them out.. :) i dont have much knowledge of music.. i mean i haven't learned anything... just wanna do sum djing at home during time pass :)

^ Try Virtual DJ in that case. Great for beginners as well as experienced DJ's, has almost *everything* a pro would ever need!

i tried out the frooty loops.. 7 its going all over my head lol.. i will try it out later using the tutorials.. so hmm ok i will try this virtual dj thing.. :) thanks again

hey i tried learning that virtual dj.. its very nice.. but do u guys have any good tutorial on it? cos i can't find anything good enough on the net.. i know i sound stupid lol but i really searched a lot.. :hap5:

Fruity loops is used in Hollywood and all Pro Areas.. It should be go Over your head :p.. i was experiencing the same problem before...

You can try VirtualDJ, Traktor DJ etc.. Best for noobs... :)

Hi,
First of all id like to elaborate on what Remixing is really all about,there r like some braod terms id like to explain before i suggest u some stuff,hope it helps

1.Mashups
VDJ strictly is for mashups(on the fly/wotsoever),Mashups basically involves beatmatching/pitch matching/ hearing the right sounds and making them loop one over other ,for beginners this is will really help in identifying the correct sounds which mix well with each other and will require some good BPM(beats per min) knowledge of tracks over various genres(hip-hop,raggae,Electronic dance music,etc etc ) .
This is what will enable u to do some quick remixes (aka mashups) with some bollywood over hip hop beats/RnB loops over some Pop,figuratively almost anything.
Now This is easy if ur a good listener of music and have an open ear to all kinds of music but then skill level is limited and almost all mashups of a track sound the same with just different loops used.
Some wierd/crass/trash mashups have been floating over the internet with everybody and their mother adding a razzzy dj prefix over his name and doin a mashup on VDJ and posting on the internet .
Looked highly noobie in the pro-dj/production circuit but some of the big names did start over with mashups ,the point being of doing mashups should be strictly on the fly (IMO) while doin a show which adds to a novelty factor but then again learn this art and take it forward if u r really serious ,if its some kinda track u wanna mashup then u should stop reading from here but ill still add and give u an insight about what remixing is about.

Softwares-Virtual Dj/Traktor/Dss any software with multiple decks to load up tracks and identify BPM'S well and yes Loop them on 2/4/8/16/32 bars.
2.Re-Editing-

Now this is the baby step for some shit ,Edit as the name says

Suppose u have this baby track u wanna remix so badly,Construct an idea what u wanna edit about this track, suppose u wanna remove the vocals,need the friggin beats,need the melody etc etc so what u do
U take this track ,chop/edit the portions u wanna keep,remove some sounds u dont want (that calls for another topic but then ill keep it straight the first time) so u need Sound Editors

Softwares-Soundforge,Audacity(Freeware) are more then sufficient to do these jobs and will prolly give u what u want with offcourse the fact that u posses some good technical knowledge about (that again being another topic :p)
**********************************************************3.Sequencing--
The everything and full and final step toward creating a final done remix,this is where u need everything (creativity/talent/passion/grit/will/and a ear )
Every track on earth has a definitive structure
Every genre/sub genre on earth have definitive drum kits/loops
Every track on earth is done in our Brain.
Now i swear this is all u need to remember everything else is there on your sequencing softwares,ur talent is the key

This is where u sequence ur remix(taking the originals from ur edits and loading them here),give it a structure,give it a new drum loop,give it some beats,give it that personal touch.

Softwares-Fruity Loops/Reason/Ableton Live/Acid Pro/Logic
More ur know-how on music/more ur hold on genres/more ur thirst for music ,the better u could use these softwares in attack mode.
Every software comes with a hefty manual and yes u do have to read/ask ppl around/see tutorials/demos/etc ...

This sums up what i when started to get into this needed,will be glad if this post is of some help to u.Music is my lifeline,ask any doubts u want to ill be glad to help.
Read,start a project and always have an aim of what should be the result i hope ul do some good.

Cheers
Sanil

On a ending note if u wanna concentrate on mashing up ( the best and easiest/fun way in ur case) start it right away on VDJ/etc or basically 2 decks and a mixer will do.
Djiing is an expensive hobby,be definitive on what u do!

^ Excellent post, repped! :D

What sequencer are you using? I've kinda gotten fedup with Ableton, gonna try Reason 4 and FL Studio now, wish I had a Mac for Logic!

Working on this Dub Mix of A&B's Good for me, damn my freakin exams!

thanks @ ReekingArchvile

you rock dude...

but can we add beats to a song.. i mean how do i explain.. like normal remixes out there... for example.. a normal slow slong.. i wanna make it fast and add beats to it.. beats as in not the bps or sumthing.. the normal Bass beats :p can we do that using Virtual DJ or is there any other software?

Anish said:
^ Excellent post, repped! :D

What sequencer are you using? I've kinda gotten fedup with Ableton, gonna try Reason 4 and FL Studio now, wish I had a Mac for Logic!

Working on this Dub Mix of A&B's Good for me, damn my freakin exams!
Ableton is ace dude!....hooked to it,not good at Reason ,but yes started with fruity still the main sequencer to me ..Ableton+Fruity= Rewired is my way.

I kinda find Fruity the best for structuring,drum kits i use reason,synth is use various VST'S ..goes on to each to his own.:hap2:

Sumeet a.k.a NEO said:
thanks @ ReekingArchvile

you rock dude...
but can we add beats to a song.. i mean how do i explain.. like normal remixes out there... for example.. a normal slow slong.. i wanna make it fast and add beats to it.. beats as in not the bps or sumthing.. the normal Bass beats :p can we do that using Virtual DJ or is there any other software?
umm quote me a remixed track here ( aka a slow one gone fast) and ill try to explain how it was done or structured.

See first u need to sort out if u want use readymade beats or wanna make ur own beats :)

hmm ok.. for example... that song Mudiya to bach ke... i have its remix.. and it contains loads of beats in it... and is it easy to create my own beats?? :p and wher do we get ready made beats lol

My friends who loves music hardly knows anything about computers but Virtual DJ is one thing he's good at. I guess that would make the program noob friendly.

I guess starters would find AtomixMP3 rather friendly...those who're on way to or are intermediate can be comfortable with VirtualDJ. FruityLoops, Abelton Live, Reason, Acid Pro...etc. are Pro Tools. To learn them one needs to spend "lot" of time. So choose the tools appropriately.

Spin dat disc.. \m/

hmm i tried frooty loops 7.. its way too advanced... then i tried virtual dj.. it has a very good interface wher i can use the mouse to scratch lol :p had fun.. but i still find it hmm a bit complex... i mean i cudn't manage to add beats to a song using virtual dj.. i can play two tracks at once and perform sum special effects and all..

^
exactly what its meant for..its emulating a Dj Console!

what u are lookin is i think adding beats to a slow track which u have to do on sequencing/sound editors :)

But if u wanna do mashups...feel free to load up 2 tracks with similar bpm's and put a loop on one and adjust the cue points for the other (which u wanna mix) and have asome experimental timepass :)

Also feel free to you tube..i bet there r like hundreds of videos related to Vdj,etc etc

Back