Remote Terminal for Windows (with minimal latency)

I'm looking for a solution where i want to move my PC cabinet to a rack in a separate room while still being able to connect to it wirelessly from another room.

The plan is to use some kind of a compact device (say a SBC like Pi 4) to which I'll be connecting my display as well as I/O (USB & audio). This device will remotely connect to the server and give me access to the windows session running on it. RDP is ruled out due to very high latency. Nvidia Gamestream works well for my needs, but wanted more inputs on better alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Set up a vnc server on your computer on your home network if possible. This would require you to have another computer (any will do, even the most basic Pi or any old laptop) connected to the same network, to access the vnc server hosted on your computer by at least wifi5, if not wifi6 (since you mentioned wireless as a need, otherwise both being connected by at least gigabit ethernet to same network switch/router would work for this purpose too, and probably better than wifi).

Thanks for all the inputs. The IP KVM looks interesting. Let me do some more research around this.

Update 1:
Looks like Pi KVM currently supports only upto 1080p@50. Even though the BIOS/UEFI access is an awesome feature, I can live without it as I will still have physical access to the machine if needed. I am looking for a higher resolution and refresh rate. I'm looking into VNC and NoMachine next.

Last edited:
Could you please expand on NoMachine vs VNC ? @ibose
Well, in my case I found NoMachine to be faster, more reliable and better performing than VNC. Zero latency issues and the screen rendering was pretty smooth. My usage was accessing a Rpi over a Windows desktop. I read that it supports VNC and RDP sessions as well but did not try that..

Back