User Guides Removing unwanted programs without using "Add/Remove Programs"

This maybe useful in the following ways :
- u want to show off to your friends that u dont need the control panel way to remove programs
- u have those irritating spyware / unremovable installs at a time when u were still unwary of the consequences..and waited for this thread.
- When you dont have access to the control panel,but have to the registry.
- u wanna see what other program you can remove,from ur already resource heavy pc.
- if Add/Remove Programs Icon or Tabs Missing

There are two ways to uninstall the software without using add remove programs.(which by the way ,can also be accessed by Start->Run->appwiz.cpl)

1. Using Installer Folder

i) Go to Installer folder. (Windows Start --> Run --> Installer or directly c:\windows\installer). This is the folder where are all installer presents.
ii) Here you will have many folders and weird names files.Hence you have to right click ,go to properrties ,then the summary to find out which software it is related with,
ii) After identifying that,simply Right click the installer and choose uninstall.

2. Using Registry Key :method 1

i) Go to registry and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion key
ii) Under this section, all the installed software information will be there..
iii) It will point to the folder where installer for that software is there.. You can uninstall using that

3.Mixed method
i) First ,Delete the complete folder where the software to be removed exists.
ii) then locate through the Registry the follwing registry keys and delete them.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\[/]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE
ii) Use Explorer to to remove the entries from the Start Menu.Check the follwoing folders for that.
%windir%\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\
%windir%\Profiles\YourId\Start Menu\Programs\
iv)To remove those irritating entries from the Add/Remove list, ,find and delete the same at :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

v ) If this app starts automatically and there is no entry in the StartUp folder, then use Regedt32 to edit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
There look for REG_SZ ,and find and delete the faulty entry.

Resources
1.Unistall the .NET Framework
2.Using tweakUI to do the same
3.Add/Remove Programs Icon or Tabs Missing - Microsoft ,Help & Support.

was looking for similar one..
in my friends pc, win 2000 + sp4,
the change/remove buttons are diabled, and some err comes on start up of add/remove.
this is seen only recently..and only when i wanted to uninstall photoshop from tat system, as it was not initializing completely and hence not loading.. ??

bluediamond posted 0.58 minutes later:

spread arnd thingy coming up..sorry mate..

Gr8 article out there Bosky........will come in help when i have such problems or if any friends have.......had sometimes not so many moons ago..currently working fine ;)

Back