Renewal of Driving License

Emperor

Skilled
Hi,
Any one have fresh-latest & deep knowledge about RULES ... what is Driving License Renewal procedure when you move within same state but from different district?

PS: License is about to expire in 12 months

Last edited:
I don't think you need to renew the license if you're within same state even if you're anywhere in India the license is valid Pan-India.
Yes, you may need to update address/contact details but that can be done online if I'm not wrong.

Hi,
Any one have fresh-latest & deep knowledge about RULES ... what is Driving License Renewal procedure when you move within same state but from different district?
You only need to renew your license if it is going to expire. I did order a replacement license through https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ mainly to get the latest credit card-sized license. I also changed the address as I moved to a different location within the same state. If you scan and upload all required documents in the correct format, there won't be any issues doing that online. I did get the new license card with the new address within a month. The ETA depends on the number of applications in the queue.

No need for renewal, its valid all over India.
If the license is expired then you need to go to original city for NOC and then use that NOC for renewal (Alternate - Just apply for a new license which is lot easier than running around)

Hi Guys,
  1. It is the Booklet Type very Old License, online record unavailable.
  2. License is about to expire.
  3. Going back to Original License city for NOC, it may took 3-4 good hrs. (+ lots of hassle etc.)
  4. He really don't have time (Sunday also working days till 4.00 PM), no holiday. (company cutting jobs & he really don't want to provide any reason)
  5. By Expiry Date he may touch or cross 50 Yrs. of Age, so how long validity license he will get? the existing one is 16 Yrs. long expiry date license.
No need for renewal, its valid all over India.
If the license is expired then you need to go to original city for NOC and then use that NOC for renewal (Alternate - Just apply for a new license which is lot easier than running around)
Please suggest if applying for NEW is more easier than Renewal in above situations?

Last edited:
I don't think you need to renew the license if you're within same state even if you're anywhere in India the license is valid Pan-India.
Yes, you may need to update address/contact details but that can be done online if I'm not wrong.
License needs renewal when nearing expiry date irrespective of state/country.

Hi Guys,
  3. Going back to Original License city for NOC, it may took 3-4 good hrs. (+ lots of hassle etc.)
  4. He really don't have time (Sunday also working days till 4.00 PM), no holiday. (company cutting jobs & he really don't want to provide any reason)

Please suggest if applying for NEW is more easier than Renewal in above situations?
Yup mine is also same old school type.
I have already inquired on renewal procedure. You need to visit the issuer city for renewals or betetr to get hold of an agent who can do it for you of course for some fee/extras!
The distance between my hometown and living city is 4hrs same like you.
The renewal procedure is too easy now as its online and license gets dispatched on the address and no driving tests required.

For new, you have to go through all the tests etc again and now rules are stringent again depending on the state.

:facepalm: Original post doesn't say it was expiring. I'm aware of the license having an expiry date and thus needing a renewal.
my bad, was need to write same for clarity.
Yup mine is also same old school type.
I have already inquired on renewal procedure. You need to visit the issuer city for renewals or betetr to get hold of an agent who can do it for you of course for some fee/extras!
The distance between my hometown and living city is 4hrs same like you.
The renewal procedure is too easy now as its online and license gets dispatched on the address and no driving tests required.

For new, you have to go through all the tests etc again and now rules are stringent again depending on the state.
  1. Renewal Process is easy if your card have detail in online portal, friend's old booklet type card have no entry in online portal (he is not tech savvy so ask me to check).
  2. He contact one agent from his NEW CITY, agent quote 2500/- but step back as soon as came to know that original license issued is from other District (but within Maharashtra state)
  3. Agent ask him, to go to original city and check if his License Entry are there in RTO Office, all work to need manually as it's old booklet type card
  4. Agent also ask him to get NOC from Original License Issue city RTO office.
How if friend, claim Original License lost and apply for Duplicate but in SMART CARD format? Is it possible without visiting Original City? His license don't have record in online portal otherwise I may help him to get NEW SMART CARD License online.

Last edited:
my bad, was need to write same for clarity.

1. Renewal Process is easy if your card have detail in online portal, friend's old booklet type card have no entry in online portal (he is not tech savvy so ask me to check).
  2. He contact one agent from his NEW CITY, agent quote 2500/- but step back as soon as came to know that original license issued is from other District (but within Maharashtra state)
  3. Agent ask him, to go to original city and check if his License Entry are there in RTO Office, all work to need manually as it's old booklet type card
  4. Agent also ask him to get NOC from Original License Issue city RTO office.
How if friend, claim Original License lost and apply for Duplicate but in SMART CARD format? Is it possible without visiting Original City? His license don't have record in online portal otherwise I may help him to get NEW SMART CARD License online.
I will anyways will be opting for an agent if details arent there online..
Can we somehow check if its online like registering on rto site?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
  5. By Expiry Date he may touch or cross 50 Yrs. of Age, so how long validity license he will get? the existing one is 16 Yrs. long expiry date license.

Go for new license using an agent, the total amount will cost somewhere around 5k. Your friend don't have to visit and just have to fill the form with other formalities and hand it over to the agent. After a month he will have to pay a visit for permanent.
No hassle of going back to other city and in just a single visit everything will be done. I think the extra money spent is worth it

Go for new license using an agent, the total amount will cost somewhere around 5k. Your friend don't have to visit and just have to fill the form with other formalities and hand it over to the agent.
Is it possible & allow to have 2 valid license in one state but different for different district?
Isn't the RTO officer ask for Test, before issuing NEW license?
After a month he will have to pay a visit for permanent.
Visit to whom? RTO or Agent? and what it mean by Permanent, isn't 2nd but NEW license is permanent?
No hassle of going back to other city and in just a single visit everything will be done. I think the extra money spent is worth it
He is 48 Yrs. old, so how much long years license he will get if go for NEW or Renewal?

I visit online with his details and get following pop-up info window
Details of given DL Number not available in the central Repository, On line applications provision is given only if the Driving Licence Details is available in the central Repository. However those candidates whose licence data not available in central Repository, can get the service by Concern RTO / RLA Authority.

Hi Guys,
Go to any driving school, and they will renew your license. The problem with the old driving license it is not sync National database, RTO officers have to manually update the National database. No need to worry :)

Go to any driving school, and they will renew your license. The problem with the old driving license it is not sync National database, RTO officers have to manually update the National database. No need to worry :)
he visit driving school in his NEW CITY but the Agent told him to visit HOME CITY for Renewal process as Driving License issue by Home City RTO.

NEW CITY - HOME CITY for Renewal process as Driving License issue by Home City RTO.
"Try another driving school, and you'll likely receive the same reply. So, why wait? Approach the RTO in your current city and ask the officer directly. If all else fails, you can talk to a reputable driving school in your home city and send the DL by post.

Hi Guys,

I had a similar issue when I wanted to get 4wheeler driving license couple of years back. Original 2wheeler license was before digital era and from a different RTO. So the agent suggested to apply for fresh 2+4Wheeler license to avoid all the back and forth with NOC from old RTO and stuff. Process was pretty straight forward. Hassle free if you ignore your old non digital license and apply for fresh one at your new address.

It is illegal to have two driving licenses, talk to the RTO to inquire about any clauses if the license holder decides to relocate to a new city permanently.

It is illegal to have two driving licenses, talk to the RTO to inquire about any clauses if the license holder decides to relocate to a new city permanently.
Bribes are more if we have to follow process. If by a miracle a bribe free option is available to get the noc sorted out and renew it go for it OP.

Back