Graphic Cards Repair vs New. Opinion needed!

wr8_utd

Adept
So I have a MSI 5770 card which is now out of warranty. It's fan stopped working around a year ago and that time they fixed it and gave it back to me but now I'm facing the same issue. The fan stops suddenly and when that happens, my PC display goes even though the CPU is still on. So I basically need to get that fan fixed but it's out of warranty and even if it's fixed, I know the issue will happen again (MSI is just terrible).

So should I just go out and buy a new one? I'm thinking of getting the Sapphire 7770. 8k is about my budget. What would you guys think is the better option?

My current setup is this :

i3 with the DH55TC Intel mobo.

^if the current GPU is sufficient for your work then stick a 80mm fan on the heat sink and use it or else buy a new one.
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Okay my GPU is definitely sufficient for my needs right now but it keeps giving issues every once in a while. Do you think putting the fan would make the GPU work?

if only fan is giving problem then putting a fan will solve the issue. One of my GPU is running with this type of mod for 3yrs and no issues.[DOUBLEPOST=1391364512][/DOUBLEPOST]check this thread
http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/dying-pc-need-gpu-to-extend-life.155743/
I think it's only the fan giving issues. The computer guy said the fan doesn't rotate/stops rotating and that's when the display disappears. So I'm assuming that's the problem. I think I'll try your solution. It will save me a lot of money! I'm not sure I can do the fan thing on my own though.

You computer stops working, because of GPU overheating.
I second what scudmissile07 has recommended.

On one of my rigs, I have attached 120mm fan to my 8800GTX:
P1030044.jpg
^This mod is not done because of kaput fan, but for performance gain. My GPU runs way cooler with the mod.

If budget is not an issue, go ahead with the new one.

Else, if you want an el cheapo fix, do the DIY that is suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back