Monitors Replace GN950 or try another monitor?

vindal

Disciple
I recently upgraded to an RTX 3080ti and had been looking for a 4k monitor to replace my 1080p BenQ.
After a lot of deliberation I went ahead with the LG GN950-B and bought it from Amazon. The monitor (obviously) had IPS glow and was slightly distracting at night. Being the dumf*** that I am, I thought I could trust my luck and got it replaced with an even worse piece with dead pixels :)
Sending that back this Saturday. And now I'm in a dilemma. Whether to go ahead with another GN950, or try my luck with the Gigabyte M28U, or get the Samsung LS28.
I usually play single player games and a lot of Valorant. Haven't ever used a fast refresh rate, super quick monitor before (I won't count the 3 days spent with the GN950) and I don't have a PS5 (not planning to get one anytime soon)
I also don't keep my monitors at peak brightness (more of a 25/100 to 40/100 kinda person)

Thoroughly confused as to what to get.

The greedy part of me who's not satisfied with an IPS display makes me think about getting the Alienware AW3423DW
Even if I were to spend a fortune (probably an EMI) and were to get it, would it be worth it? (Just a torturous question)

Heyo.
Am currently using the LG GN650-F at 100/100 and it is quite good for gaming and content consumption at its price for a 1080p. My phone's got a first gen oled and the IPS glow is noticeable when side by side and when in a dark room(my usual case) so I have kinda adjusted myself to it.
As for advice the alienware monitor is real good... The 3rd party reviews are excellent on the product, but the cost is something we have to be wary of with it being a newer generation OLEDs. The giagbyte one has a good colour space and the panel being from sharp, it should be reliable. Plus it got a KVM inbuilt so if you got mutiple devices, say a PC and laptop or 2, you can just use 2 set of peripherals for all of those by connecting it to the monitor.
IMO you should go for the Gigabyte one if you dont want to spend much right now and the only purpose of it is for gaming and work. But if you want to do some serious content consumption along the previous 2, then the alienware might be a good investment.

IMO go for new Samsung G7. It is a bummer that new one does not have the excellent QLED VA panel from last model, but is still good & mainly just costs 45k.
https://mdcomputers.in/samsung-odyssey-g7-ls28ag700nwxxl.html

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tool...s28ag70/16085/26279?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

The Alienware QD OLED costs 120k, is an excellent monitor, but has non-RGB sub-pixel layout leading to lower text clarity. But it is excellent for content consumption & gaming.

Edit: Apparently Samsung Neo G7 is also available in India, at 69k, which is nice:
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-32-Inch-Mini-LED-FreeSync-LS32BG750NWXXL/dp/B0B6WHQSCY/

It is a FALD mini LED VA panel, will be great, can be considered a true HDR monitor. Curve - you should get used to it. Maybe wait for sale on amazon, coming soon, maybe starts from 17/18.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tool...s28ag70/33691/26279?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

Last edited:
IMO go for new Samsung G7. It is a bummer that new one does not have the excellent QLED VA panel from last model, but is still good & mainly just costs 45k.
Even I am leaning towards that. It is less expensive than the GN950, has HDMI 2.1, and has a lower peak brightness (which doesn't matter much to me anyway)

The Alienware QD OLED costs 120k, is an excellent monitor, but has non-RGB sub-pixel layout leading to lower text clarity. But it is excellent for content consumption & gaming.
Does anyone know anyone in Dell who can get me any sort of discount? ;) (although the text clarity issue would be a pain in the ass given that I intend to use the monitor as my work monitor AND the insane price is a huge barrier. Included the Alienware in the post purely for those "what-if" scenarios haha)

It is a FALD mini LED VA panel, will be great, can be considered a true HDR monitor. Curve - you should get used to it. Maybe wait for sale on amazon, coming soon, maybe starts from 17/18.
Even if I do get around to shelling out that much money, the curve is the one thing that will bother me the most.
In a desperate move, I'd like to ask if anyone knows someone in Jaipur using the Odyssey Neo G7? Slim chances but no harm in asking :)
I asked around at Samsung stores and they do not have an open piece (are willing to get one within a day though lol)
Heyo.
Am currently using the LG GN650-F at 100/100 and it is quite good for gaming and content consumption at its price for a 1080p. My phone's got a first gen oled and the IPS glow is noticeable when side by side and when in a dark room(my usual case) so I have kinda adjusted myself to it.
As for advice the alienware monitor is real good... The 3rd party reviews are excellent on the product, but the cost is something we have to be wary of with it being a newer generation OLEDs. The giagbyte one has a good colour space and the panel being from sharp, it should be reliable. Plus it got a KVM inbuilt so if you got mutiple devices, say a PC and laptop or 2, you can just use 2 set of peripherals for all of those by connecting it to the monitor.
IMO you should go for the Gigabyte one if you dont want to spend much right now and the only purpose of it is for gaming and work. But if you want to do some serious content consumption along the previous 2, then the alienware might be a good investment.
I looked at the Hardware Unboxed review of the Odyssey Neo G7 it seems like an amazing monitor.
Might not go for the Gigabyte M28U since it has a rather limited HDMI 2.1 port (24GBPS as opposed to the 40GBPS on Samsung Odyssey G7 aka LS28)
My laptop (Acer Predator) has an HDMI out and my PC's GPU has a DP port so either of the Samsung would be a good monitor for me I guess

Last edited:
My friend has the 27" Samsung G7 2K 240Hz, he got used to the curve in a few days. Unless your work involves graphic or video stuff, I doubt curve will hamper stuff.

Back