Budget 41-50k Replace RX 580 with an RX 7800?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Wanted to get your opinion about whether my current GPU the RX 580 can be 1-to-1 swapped out for the likely upcoming RX 7800 models without the need to upgrade the PSU?

I wanted a newer GPU to try casual machine learning stuff (edit: on linux) and don't want to touch nvidia :p

Hopefully AMD support with ROCm, HIP etc will also be reasonable with Navi 32.

This is what I'm looking forward to...

Wanted to get your opinion about whether my current GPU the RX 580 can be 1-to-1 swapped out for the likely upcoming RX 7800 models without the need to upgrade the PSU?

I wanted a newer GPU to try casual machine learning stuff (edit: on linux) and don't want to touch nvidia :p

Hopefully AMD support with ROCm, HIP etc will also be reasonable with Navi 32.

This is what I'm looking forward to...
should work properly even if it pulls 300watts at max keep if it may!

it depends on the current wattage of your existing PSU and the other components, please share the full specs here for help or might i suggest an online PSU wattage calculator to confirm if it will be fine (this i think is the correct way to go about your dilemma).

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, I tried playing Cyberpunk 2077 on my RX 580 and was getting 15FPS, so I thought I'd upgrade it, then saw all the pricing of GPUs and decided to hell with it and bought a PS5.
So that would be my recommendation, instead of purchasing a GPU, just invest in a PS5 get the PS5 subscription and enjoy games. unless you mod your games or pirate them (not judging) in which case buy a GPU.

Thanks folks for your inputs!

There are hints in the OP itself (hehehe) when I asked can I swap them "1-to-1" without the need to change PSU, meaning since the RX 580 is around just under 200w and it's working OK with my current PSU - gotta wait and see if any RX 7800 model comes in around the same power range - are rest of the PC specs really relevant?

Also, I mentioned the reason for swapping is to play around with machine learning, no gaming really :) and looking for good linux support. So getting a PS5 is not for me.

Hoping for things to pan out, will look at doing this by the end of the year.

Sorry I read the title and immediately thought it was for gaming, anyways for Machine learning unfortunately the best GPUs are still NVidia's there is a great article regarding choosing the best GPU for ML

Also, have a look at google colab and see if it can help you in any way.

P.S. I will now go and bury my head in the sand for the previous comment.
200.gif

Sorry I read the title and immediately thought it was for gaming, anyways for Machine learning unfortunately the best GPUs are still NVidia's there is a great article regarding choosing the best GPU for ML

Also, have a look at google colab and see if it can help you in any way.

P.S. I will now go and bury my head in the sand for the previous comment.
200.gif
I have a PS5 and a 3090Ti... Wink wink..

Great link indeed. Bit old but still rings true I guess discourage you from going for AMD. So... Challenge accepted :cool:

Back