Audio Replacement battery for Classic video iPod 80GB

quixilver

Disciple
Hi guys

The battery on my 80gb 5.5g ipod purchased in dec 2006 finally had it!

Been using it quite regularly till oct 2010. It was idle for 2 months with once-in-a-while usage for file storage.. hence maybe it was charged for max an hour in last 3 months... battery died.. tried to revive using wall charger... it comes on after few resets etc, but drains in 2-3hrs.

tried to restore the ipod, upgrade firmware etc to make sure its no software related issue....

Checked with apple store. They say they dont do battery replacements. They will ship my ipod to California.

In 2 weeks, they will dispatch a brand new replacement piece of same configuration.. will have to pay Rs3.5k for this...Obviously, no warranty on the new piece anyways..

The ipod as such is in great shape with minor scratches at the back as it has spent all its life inside a belkin pouch... and i am not keen on paying 3.5k at this time for an outdated ipod

Is it possible to get only the battery ? if so what would be the warranty for the battery and cost. I saw on toytube that the replacement could be DIY kinds...

...pls guide me on this..

Cheerz
Quixilver

its really risky to replace battery ourselves , but its possible , you can do it in calm environment ....... I replaced my friend's iphone 3g battery in his room , it took more than 1hr to replace it ........ I found battery in geb

I would suggest you pay the 3.5k and opt for the replacement. Then you can always sell it here on TE Market and recover your money and some profit. ;)

Replacing a iPod battery is not something I would recommend. Plus, if you mess it up, u won't even have the option you have now of sending the iPod to CA.

nehaladsul said:
I would suggest you pay the 3.5k and opt for the replacement. Then you can always sell it here on TE Market and recover your money and some profit. ;)

Replacing a iPod battery is not something I would recommend. Plus, if you mess it up, u won't even have the option you have now of sending the iPod to CA.

Yep.. looks like i'l have to do it this way! If it was some 2.5k i'd have done it without thinking twice... coz i thik the battery is around 1k...

i tried 1 step further... asked the apple store guys if they'd get me an ipod touch if i paid that amount ;) They gladly declined the offer saying its 'out of warranty replacement' :p

btw i think the battery laster longer than it shud have...

Was wondering... how much wud the ipod have fetched me if i sold it now (if it had a working battery).. its 4yrs old ??

-> the ipod(285Eur) + belkin pouch(25eu)+ Shure E2C in-ear phones(100Eur) = 410Eur which was around 26k back in 2006 Dec.... Going by depreciation, the ipod+pouch wud be now close to 50Euros ?? = 3.5k ??

Shure e2c is still going strong.. but the pouch has to go free with the ipod... ;)

Was considering above calculation coz if i spend 3.5k more... i shud be asking for 7k which is unreasonable even for an out of warranty box piece rite ?? :)

veer_singh said:
nice calculation
just called up another apple store after i made the post... this weirdo guy said he has to check with the technician before he cud comment on the "price of the battery"... heck last time they told me "we dont do any repair"...for something as simple as a battery replacement, they expect u to ship it to US... then y do they have a technician at their store ??

Another option wud be... to use the ipod further after getting it replaced after paying 3.5k for 1-2 more years and then sell it.... but, by then this wud depreciate further... but then i guess i can at least get 3k for it ;) Then it might make sense for a 7yr old ipod :D Damn... these apple products get better with age i think :D

quixilver said:
Another option wud be... to use the ipod further after getting it replaced after paying 3.5k for 1-2 more years and then sell it.... but, by then this wud depreciate further... but then i guess i can at least get 3k for it ;) Then it might make sense for a 7yr old ipod :D Damn... these apple products get better with age i think :D
Now you are talking economics!! :p

Well, I would suggest you do the above if you have no issues with it. Also, you won't have much loss to make as the depreciation would be like 500 rupees for 1-2 years!!

Back