Replacement Chair Hydraulic Gas Lift Cylinder

rr9

Disciple
I am looking to replace the Chair Hydraulic Gas Lift Cylinder on my CellBell Aries C160 Ergonomic Mesh chair.
Apparently the warranty was just 6months for functional parts.
The current cylinder has developed some play and thus the chair wobbles a bit from side to side (even though the height adjustment was not used for more than maybe 10 times)
Makes it feel like a limited range rocking chair. : D
Looking for alternatives. Any suggestion?

CellBell wants to sell me a replacement at full cost : https://warranty.cellbell.in/product/chair-gas-lift-hydraulic/

1704449441873.png

1704449414680.png

my shortlists so far :

440 : https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09D9TCHB8/
990: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0C6XWLT8H/
How much are these in the local market?

Last edited:
Cylinders usually tend to conk off sooner or later esp. when its not in much use.
You can either choose the amazon options or the ones available at a local shop, works fine!

Cylinders usually tend to conk off sooner or later esp. when its not in much use.
You can either choose the amazon options or the ones available at a local shop, works fine!
The chair is used regularly. I meant I do not lower the chair much. It is mostly at it's topmost height all the time.

The chair is used regularly. I meant I do not lower the chair much. It is mostly at it's topmost height all the time.
Yeah same here. Unless you have shared workspace at home/office used by multiple people the height is rarely adjusted. But still the cylinder does conk off as @nRiTeCh mentioned. The one in my Godrej chair conked off after 8-9 yrs of use.
I replaced it with this one in 2019.
Still going strong.

Thats what I meant.. when its not in much use.
My chair is also set at topmost position since many years now. Only when kids have to sit on it I somehow lower it.

Coconut oil has helped me to some extent. But again, if the chairs height is kept to only to a particular level, then it gets locked and hence the hydraulics seldom work! So, again you have to do
oiling.

So, regular oiling actually helps than replacements. I haven't replaced hydraulics for any of my chairs since many years now as its a needless expense for me esp. when I'm not going to adjust the height regularly.

In my case, the chair wobbles a bit from side to side. I find this annoying. On closer inspection the root cause identified is that the cylinder has a bit of play. Oiling would likely not be the the fix in this case.

In my case, the chair wobbles a bit from side to side. I find this annoying. On closer inspection the root cause identified is that the cylinder has a bit of play. Oiling would likely not be the the fix in this case.
Mine also wobbles a bit esp. when resting on either side or front/back but as far as its not tumbling or making me fall its ok for me at least.
You may decide on your wobbling factor and take the decision.
But as said, first try oiling if it frees the friction then you are good for few months or years.

Last edited:
I have another idea I am considering.

What about replacing the current cylinder with a bar stool/chair cylinder.
The current one is at the top most height. (with wobble. does not wobble at the lowest height)
The bar stool cylinder will be at it's lowest height (and no wobbles) ?? @nRiTeCh @abmr2d2 ? What do you think?

I had experienced the wobble but upon inspection had found that the bolts of the seat bottom frame assembly had loosened up. Used an Allen key to tighten the hex bolts and the wobble stopped.
Chairimage.jpg

If the cylinder has play at any of the points where it connects to the seat at the topside or at bottom where it connects to the wheel assembly ide maybe disassembling it and reassembling it may make it seat properly in the sockets.

Last edited:
I had experienced the wobble after a bit of time but upon inspection had found that the bolts of the seat bottom frame assembly had loosened up. Used an allen key to tighten the hex bolts and the wobble stopped.
If the cylinder has play at any of the points at the topside or bottoms ide maybe disassembling it and reassembling it may make it seat properly in the sockets.

I am confident about the origin of the wobble being in the cylinder because, there is wobble when it is extended and none when it is set to the lowest point.

I'm not sure about replacing the existing cylinder with a taller cylinder as the taller you get you need a wider base below to prevent tipping over.
I am confident about the origin of the wobble being in the cylinder because, there is wobble when it is extended and none when it is set to the lowest point.
I would recommend trying to reduce the play by wrapping teflon tape used in plumbing around the cylinder head.

Last edited:
I have another idea I am considering.

What about replacing the current cylinder with a bar stool/chair cylinder.
The current one is at the top most height. (with wobble. does not wobble at the lowest height)
The bar stool cylinder will be at it's lowest height (and no wobbles) ?? @nRiTeCh @abmr2d2 ? What do you think?

I have one of these on an Amazon Basics chair:

It failed within a few months, probably because I'm the heaviest person in our family tree. I had to reinforce with a section of plastic water pipe cut in half, I had read about that somewhere on reddit:

photo_2024-01-06 00.09.13.jpeg

The pipe halves were clamped first with zip ties before I could source proper screw clamps from a local plumbing/hardware store. I use standing desks exclusively (partly for my weight loss strategy that has yet to provide results and partly because I like having have extra storage space under the table top) so I didn't need it to go lower but I do need a tiny stool to get on my chair.

There is wobble, but not in the piston, it's at the part of the seat that attaches to the piston. I couldn't remove the piston from the chair so that's why I haven't replaced it since it failed in 2021.

Back