Storage Solutions Replacing HDD on HP dv6000

jaganm

Disciple
I have purchased a Intel 320 SSD drive and wanted to swap out the HDD on my HP DV6000 (model dv6516-tx) laptop. However, when I opened up the hard drive compartment, I saw that the power and data ports were not the standard port. This is what they look like

y_vBS_GRZQ31zDf3vyDgcQ

Image URL : https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/y_vBS_GRZQ31zDf3vyDgcQ?feat=directlink

My hard disk has a standard sata port configuration into which you plug in the sata and power cable. So, you would typically slide it into the disk slot, whereas here, the hard disk needs to be lowered into the slot.

Is there any solution for this?

Searching for "SATA Hard Drive Connector for HP DV6000" yielded many results on ebay.com; most were much cheaper than the one mentioned in the link 6pack has mentioned. Worth giving a shot.

BTW, I was looking for something opposite.. I want a connector which will make the hard drive from the laptop usable with routine HDD docks/casings. Any ideas anyone?

^ i was thinking one thing. Isn't the hdd a normal one? I mean even HP must be buying normal sata hdd's and then sticking them in those adapters. So how hard must it be to remove the adapter from the original hdd?

Once the hdd is free of that pin adapter, you could stick it in any hdd dock right?

^^ Dunno.. I'll check it out a couple of days later, when I'll be back home where my laptop is. I sure don't want to risk the data in the drive, so I'll just check if it is a simple adapter sort of thing like you suggested.

If it is just an adapter, even the OP need not spend cash on getting a new adapter.. He can use the one from the existing HDD on his new SSD.

Jagan: ve seen the same with a friends HP earlier. That's a simple plastic adapter on top of a normal hard drive :)

You just need to pull it off, behind it you will see the normal hdd connectors. Very very simple. There's no glue or nything, the adaptor just slots in, so u just need to remove it n attach it to the Intel. Pm me f u still got queries

:)

use the adapter attached to the harddisk .

alternatively you can buy a HDD caddy to replace your optical drive and use SSD with HDD

Back