CPU/Mobo Replacing Mobo chipset fan

digTro

Disciple
Off late, my A8N-E mobo chipset has been behaving strangely. Every now and then when I boot up, the BIOS warns me that chip fan speed is too low. And sometimes the fan makes hell lot of noise. The fan speed is always at 5800+ rpm.

I think the fan is dying and am thinking of replacing it. What are the options available in India? Are there any high quality fans available which will not fail even if I run my PC 24X7? How about passive heat sinks? But I'm doubtful whether a passive heat sink will fit in. Currently my graphics card sits just above the chip fan.

I havent tried it yet , but u will get a 40 mm fan in india , or try using old cpu HCF , like pentium pro.

Actually i got one from my college.

digTro said:
How big is the heat sink?. Right now my graphics card passes right over one corner of the chip fan. Will heat sink fit in? I'll have to take a tape and measure the clearance :)
I do not have it yet so dont know the size - a friend is coming down from USA after 10 days with it... but here is a picture of this heat sink - it is the blue one ... I have read that this heat sink cools the chip more than the stock cooler with the fan.

P.S. I have also requested my friend for the huge cpu HEAT SINK in the picture - THERMALRIGHT SI-128 :)

iosoft said:
What the price of the CHIPSET Heat-sink ?

Check the Newegg link I gave.... US $ 5.00

@digTro ... if you think the Zalman chip heat sink will come in the way of the GFX card then check this heat sink.... it is angled away from the base.... priced at $ 23 :( .....This one is the third heat sink in the picture I attached to my post above....

Thermalright HR-05 SLI

Eazy said:
@digTro ... if you think the Zalman chip heat sink will come in the way of the GFX card then check this heat sink.... it is angled away from the base.... priced at $ 23 :( .....This one is the third heat sink in the picture I attached to my post above....

Thermalright HR-05 SLI

Yikes! that is pricey. Anyway, for now I'm gonna try and see if I can oil the fan. I'll have to wait for someone to return to India to get the Zalman heat sink.

dismount the fan & throw it off. I have 4 A8N-E's running for almost 1.5 years without that chipset fan. 2 of these mobos have 3000+ oc'd to 2.4ghz :)

There is no hassle abt removing it, just see that ur case has a front intake fan that can provide some good airflow. YES one concern here, if ur fan is making grunging noise & is jammed in movement, surely dismount it or else it may spoil mobo if it burns to death someday.

Back