Require a micro spy camera to catch thief

nRiTeCh

Skilled
In my friends society there is constant petrol theft happening since a month for some moped scooters. Friend is very frustrated due to this, every morning he finds the fuel tank empty of his moped.:mad:

He wants a spy cam which he can install somewhere in or around his scooter and catch or atleast guess who the idiot is. The cam should be such that it should work on battery cell and be in the tiniest size possible.

Help me find such device on the net esp. Indian sites so he may order it and help himself.

Quite a few sizes are available on eBay.in. Check them out.

Problem I see is the battery & recording capacity. Both are limited.

One simple option would be to install lock next to the fuel pipe. This used to be a standard "mod" to stop pilfering.

The petrol gets stolen from some rubber pipe under the scooter and not directly from the tank. So theres no lock for that purpose.

It is known as a petcock lock. This fits directly to the tank and the rubberline start from underneath it. This is primarily used to stop fuel theft.

same thing used to happen with my dad when he had chetak years back, all he did was emptied the tank every night till one day when his scooter got stolen.

why not install a security alarm and a spy camera both ??

Go electric :p

On a serious note, a fuel lock like above would do you good. I had to do the same to my bike (which is easier)

But if you really are frustrated then catching the thief would be a nice idea.

And if this is happening everyday, I would say tell your friend to raise a voice and ask society chairman to setup CCTV Cameras in parking lot. Ask the security guard to monitor the activity.

Chairman and rest society public all suck!!! And hence my friend thought about taking it in his own hands.
He is out of town and yet to return and then will let him know about the petrol lock.

But in past he had inquired and he only heard about lock for the petrol tank and boot and the petrol thief steals via some thin small rubber pipe underneath the scooter itself which supplies petrol to the engine. So just curious if the whole lock system also seals this thing. And a proper name for such lock will be very much appreciated.

He owns a honda pleasure.

Thanks for the comments !!

Dude ask your frnd to install a petrol lock... good one(brass) should cost you about 250INR + Rs 20 for installation....
I had the exact same problem like your frnd but the society guys sucked at even appointing a watchmen.... bloody misers.... Since I stay on rent I could not do much...
Having full peace of mind after installing the petrol lock... Though it does add the overhead of maintaining one additional key but its better comparing with the amount you lose on petrol theft + the frustration of having no fuel in ur bike when you urgently need to drive somewhere.....

If those guys can steal petrol from the bike... what makes you think they wont rob the camera if they spot it :)

But in past he had inquired and he only heard about lock for the petrol tank and boot and the petrol thief steals via some thin small rubber pipe underneath the scooter itself which supplies petrol to the engine. So just curious if the whole lock system also seals this thing. And a proper name for such lock will be very much appreciated
The assumption is that there are only two openings on your petrol tank. One where you fill petrol which already has a lock and where it leaves the tank through a pipe to go to your carburettor/fuel injector. The lock that everyone is talking about is installed at this second opening. Unless here is another opening to your fuel tank other than the above two then there shouldn't be a way of getting fuel provided the second lock is fit properly and the thief doesn't pick locks. I by proper fitting I mean the lock should cone directly from the tank. There shouldn't be a removable pipe between the tank and lock.

If the thief tries to steal petrol from the rest of the fuel line (ie everything AFTER the lock then they will barely get 100ml of fuel)

Paint the tube with a brightly coloured permanent dye, and ask the watchman to let you know if he's noticed anyone with coloured hands.

Back