Requirement to connect from India

Emil

Skilled
I am currently in Canada and will be here for several more months. Meanwhile, I have to submit my life certificate to LIC for receiving my annuity. The best method is to install their app on my phone to submit and also use Digilocker to validate my Aadhaar. However, both Digilocker and the LIC app do not work when I connect from outside India.
Is there any VPN service I can use that will connect to both from an India based server? Is there any other alternative way I can get around it by routing it via another computer based in India?

Major paid VPNs like Express vpn and Nord etc have virtual location for India. You'll get Indian IP but the actual server will be located outside India.
So it'll work.

Thanks for all the helpful posts. Most users of VPN probably use it for privacy/security and India content access. In my case it is more a kind of one-off requirement to use LIC's Jeevan Saakshya and Digilocker from my iPhone. Has any of you had previous experience of using govt. apps like that from abroad? It has to be an App available for iOS. VPN India for instance, seems to be available on Android but not sure about iOS.

Thanks for all the helpful posts. Most users of VPN probably use it for privacy/security and India content access. In my case it is more a kind of one-off requirement to use LIC's Jeevan Saakshya and Digilocker from my iPhone. Has any of you had previous experience of using govt. apps like that from abroad? It has to be an App available for iOS. VPN India for instance, seems to be available on Android but not sure about iOS.
If you are technically savvy, spin up a lightsail server on AWS (it’s free for a month or three)
select location as mumbai or Bangalore for the server.
install WireGuard server on said server.
use WireGuard on your phone to connect to said server - voila!

be warned that it’ll be at least an hour or two worth of work .. given its only a one off requirement, taking a paid service may actually be better

If you are technically savvy, spin up a lightsail server on AWS (it’s free for a month or three)
select location as mumbai or Bangalore for the server.
install WireGuard server on said server.
use WireGuard on your phone to connect to said server - voila!

be warned that it’ll be at least an hour or two worth of work .. given its only a one off requirement, taking a paid service may actually be better
This sounds really interesting

I have used DigiLocker on iPhone using Speedify VPN server set to India while I am out of India. In fact, I had operated it last week !
I tried this and it seems to be working without adding a subscription. I will now try to submit my life certificate. Hope it goes well. For each policy I add to the LIC app, it does not send me the otp in the first attempt. Then it tells me to wait for 15 minutes and try. Buggy apps as usual from PSUs. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will post back here once the task is complete.
On proceeding further with the life certificate creation on Jeevan Saakshya, I have to capture a selfie in the app. After clicking the app crashes. Tried it 3 or 4 times with the same result so it looks like the app itself is buggy. I wonder how long it will take them to fix this bug.

Last edited:
Cant this be done online through LIC website login instead of app?
No. I guess the app is to ensure that the person is alive. You have to shoot the picture in the app. Last year when I switched my car insurer, I had to use Tata AIG app and take pictures from within the app too. Probably to show that my car was not damaged.

Last edited:
No. I guess the app is to ensure that the person is alive. You have to shoot the picture in the app. Last year when I switched my car insurer, I had to use Tata AIG app and take pictures from within the app too. Probably to show that my car was not damaged.
I see... Apps has made lives easy but terrible rather annoying as well.
The co. should also consider people these days also use laptops a lot so via web too image can be captured.

I am currently in Canada and will be here for several more months. Meanwhile, I have to submit my life certificate to LIC for receiving my annuity. The best method is to install their app on my phone to submit and also use Digilocker to validate my Aadhaar. However, both Digilocker and the LIC app do not work when I connect from outside India.
Is there any VPN service I can use that will connect to both from an India based server? Is there any other alternative way I can get around it by routing it via another computer based in India?
Arrange to submit , duly certified by registered medical practitioner/officer from your area (Canada ), Existence certificate , through your registered email address. But you have to send to the concern department & officials ?

This sounds really terrible. Have you checked LIC website to ensure there is no alternate method for people currently residing outside India?

My brother had a similar issue accessing his banks while residing in the US. I had to spin up a VM on my Synology NAS to which he then connected remotely. He tried using Oracle cloud server, but that did not work for some reason, even though it had India IP.

Arrange to submit , duly certified by registered medical practitioner/officer from your area (Canada ), Existence certificate , through your registered email address. But you have to send to the concern department & officials ?
I have just returned to India now and will be able to submit from the app I guess. Actually, I did not want to jump through hoops to get it done since I was ultimately going to return so the worst case scenario was that my annuity payment would be delayed. Didn't really matter so much.
This sounds really terrible. Have you checked LIC website to ensure there is no alternate method for people currently residing outside India?

My brother had a similar issue accessing his banks while residing in the US. I had to spin up a VM on my Synology NAS to which he then connected remotely. He tried using Oracle cloud server, but that did not work for some reason, even though it had India IP.
Speedify worked for me back then but I was constrained because of a bug in LIC's app. I tried Speedify more recently and it doesn't have an India server any more.

Back