Residents of Kolkata , Please help

eggman

Adept
Hello

I'm moving from Bangalore to Kolkata (for a year or two) .Kindly help me with few of my queries.

My office is in DLF IT Park in Rajarhat.

What is the best area to live nearby (10-20 mins travel on Bike is acceptable ).

My requirements :
1 BHK flat or 1BK flat.
Area: 450 - 600 sq feet.
A decent place to live, with no issue of water and power .
A peaceful and decent locality with all necessity close by .

Budget : 6000 / PM .

Places I am looking at: Salt Lake, New Town.

Also, regarding Internet plan.

My requirements :
Atleast 8 MBPS
Should have FUP of atleast 75 GBs (preferable only download FUP and not upload).
Budget: 2000/pm

Kindly help .
Thanks

+1 to Salt Lake, Kestopur / New Town.

Kestopur should be more affordable than Salt Lake. Airtel is there in Salt Lake, but not sure about New Town.

Check out apartments in and around the Chinar Park area. It will be cheaper than Salt Lake with all amenities close by. Its 5-10 minutes from the Airport and your office commute shall be a peaceful/congestion free 15 minutes.

I used to stay in the apartment just beside DLF IT Park (it's named Rail Vihar Apartment).
You can search in that area itself - there are many small complexes coming up - on both side of the Rajarhat road.

or as mentioned above, Chinar park is the a decent area - and Rajarhat road doesn't have much traffic, so you can reach 10km in 10mins or so.
In Salt lake rent varies. You can get cheaper houses in Sector V (near Technopolis).
I wouldn't recommend Kestopur area. Though Lake-town (beside Kestopur) is decent enough.

Internet - I was using Ortel (cable) as Airtel wasn't available there 2 years back. I never inquired later as ortel service as quite good. I had 1mbps line for 1000 (1140 with taxes).
Airtel should have coverage by now in most of the areas.

btw, if you need number of any real estate broker, I can provide you a few.

The best place to stay would be Salt Lake. But 1BHKs are hard to come by. Your best option would be to share a 2BHK (assuming you are alone). Decent 2BHKs would be close to 12K so will fit in your budget perfectly. Lake town is again good but will be pretty expensive. Kestopur would be cheapest but the locality is not something to boast off. New town is okay but will be mostly deserted :p. Chinar park would be a pretty good option but you have to choose wisely. It was once famous for notorious elements. Even now they run quite a few seedy bars.
Airtel 8 mbps lines are available in salt lake. But I don't think the one with 75Gb FUP will fit your budget. You can look up the plans on their site. Reliance is also available at few areas of salt lake. Service is bit of hit and miss though.

P.S - IBMer I suppose?

Strict NO to kestopur.... very irregular water and electricity.

I stay in Salt Lake and its the best place to live in Kolkata, no problem of water and electricity at all, peaceful place, good roads and everything is nice .I have a 2mps Wishnet connection ( 16Mbps in night, with peer sharing and all that) , I easily download 180-200GB per month...not a problem at all. I pay like 2.4k for the internet. Also, finding 1BHK would be tough here in Salt Lake, so you might end up sharing a 2BHK or living in a PG kind of scenario. Anyways, feel free to drop me a PM and take my number if you need further help.

Kolkata has real good cable net providers. Any of them would keep you satisfied. The best one is called Alliance, but wishnet isn't far off. Other two are meghbela (which I'm using) and siti cable. AFAIK all four have peering speeds.

I stay in Salt Lake and its the best place to live in Kolkata

No it's not. It's too far away from anywhere good. Mostly a gaon-ish area. Your comment seems biased to me.

That'd be anywhere in between chandni to bhawanipore. Especially in between new market and park street. Always lively and the best area. Not far from anywhere worth going to.

Last edited:
@eggman I'd advise against staying Saltlake. Its nice but very costly, flooded in heavy rain and safety might be a concern as well. I'd search in Chinar park, Teghoria, Baguiati area. Better take some advice from your local colleagues to select which will suit you (and your budget) the best.

I am not sure I completely agree to the two posts above. Maybe I am biased because I stay in Salt lake.
Salt lake is in no sense gaon ish. Agreed it is a little distant from the hot spots namely Park Street but it has its fair share of hangout places nearby. And for occasions travelling 10 kms should not be a concern. It is greener than the rest of the city, you don't have to put up with noise and dust like the busier parts of the city.
Water logging only happens in sector v which anyway is not a residential area. The rest of salt lake actually has better drainage than most of the other busier areas of kolkata.
The only problem I see for eggman is the budget.

How much should it be.

I live in one of the most posh area in Bangalore right now (Indiranagar) , and I pay 6.5 k for a 400 sq feet 1 BHK (inc everything) .
I was under the impression that Kolkata is cheaper.

How much should it be.

I live in one of the most posh area in Bangalore right now (Indiranagar) , and I pay 6.5 k for a 400 sq feet 1 BHK (inc everything) .
Few places in kolkata are not that cheap, Salt Lake is one of them.

I am not sure I completely agree to the two posts above. Maybe I am biased because I stay in Salt lake.
Salt lake is in no sense gaon ish. Agreed it is a little distant from the hot spots namely Park Street but it has its fair share of hangout places nearby. And for occasions travelling 10 kms should not be a concern. It is greener than the rest of the city, you don't have to put up with noise and dust like the busier parts of the city.
Water logging only happens in sector v which anyway is not a residential area. The rest of salt lake actually has better drainage than most of the other busier areas of kolkata.
I agree, salt lake is not gaon ish at all, and there there is no water logging in residential areas...

How much should it be.

Well you are not wrong about kolkata being cheaper. The problem is with getting a 1bhk. See, salt lake does not have flats and complexes. The rented houses are mostly 2 storey ed buildings where the owner would be living in the top floor. So the easier option would be to share with a roommate. Also if you are looking for a new construction you would be better off staying in new town. I will still ask around anyway to see if 1bhks are available.

How much should it be.

is that a bangalore version of a *penthouse* ?
if its a good place, would want to check it out personally... let me know!

is that a bangalore version of a *penthouse* ?
if its a good place, would want to check it out personally... let me know!
Haha..no no..the place itself is very OK..It's a independent house ..maybe 15-20 years old...
So tiles and walls and stuff are kinda old...But big enough for one guy..My bedroom for practical purpose is unused,...
If you're planning to stay for a few years, the locality makes it worth it.

But not suitable if you're planning to settle down and stuff. If you want I can send you pics .

Back