Resignation queries

nRiTeCh

Skilled
If we resign and on the last day of the notice period even if the co. hasn't yet accepted our resignation can we still leave the co.?? How mandatory is our bosses/cos. acceptance??

One of my experienced friends said that once we resign, the resignation starts from that very day irrespective of the fact whether the co. accepts it or not. We should weekly follow the same email trail asking for the acceptance until the last day when we shall clearly state that I'm handing over my duties (whatever documents etc. stuff) and consider today as my last day as per co. official notice period.

Even if the co doesn't accept our resignation and doesn't issue experience letter, using the resignation mail and all the trail followup we can very well convince the other co for our new job.

Need clarifications.

Yes , no need to get a acceptance as long as you sent resignation to your manager and the HR and serve the notice time specified. companies in india use this to harass employees and overwork them till they resign. i wish all these HR people just die a painful death. anyway karma will one day get them, god will have his mighty wrath on these snakes one day when the judgement comes.

I don't think so, company's manager (process manager) as to accept your notice period (Only Yes means acceptance, No or No reply to your email means not accepted).

I have been through this just recently and my manager was not allowing me to serve the notice period, clearly said we are not accepting your resignation. Though with good reputation with the manager, he waived off my notice period :D

Notice period starts from the 1st day of the acceptance of your resignation. On paper trial if your manager hasn't accepted it, you have no proof and probably will be denied the experience/relevant docs.

I don't think so, company's manager (process manager) as to accept your notice period (Only Yes means acceptance, No or No reply to your email means not accepted).

Notice period starts from the 1st day of the acceptance of your resignation.

Thats incorrect notice period starts from the day you resign in the system via tool or email where manager and hr is notified. Nothing to do with acceptance

Anyways all above suggestions of double salary and all is useless. Its mutually beneficial to discuss and negotiate a final date. The company has to pay you for sticking around during notice period which is also a cost sometimes.
Negotiate and get a win win for both parties..

All you can do is convince the next company but it depends on their policy as many ask for resignation or experience letter.
Your current company / HR has to close all files on employees when they resign as they need to stop paying you salary and other things like settling dues, inventory etc so they have to accept it someday. You can then ask them for experience letter in due time, especially a month after the last day which you can show to next company. But it depends on your current company and your relationship with them

Thats incorrect notice period starts from the day you resign in the system via tool or email where manager and hr is notified. Nothing to do with acceptance

What I said was not a fact but was told to me by my manager and HR manager too that acceptance has to be done by both parties.

What if someone shoots resignation from his personal mail id is that accepted? Coz if he is at home due to medical reasons of him or his family members and with no access to office resources then the only way is to resign from his personal id

What if someone shoots resignation from his personal mail id is that accepted? Coz if he is at home due to medical reasons of him or his family members and with no access to office resources then the only way is to resign from his personal id
usually most cos have his thing that you need to serve notice without any leaves so if you resign today and take next 5 days off they dnt consider those 5 days

Thats understood as in the 5 days leave the person will need to work 5 days extra.

What m asking is suppose the person is on emergency/medical leave either his own or his parents/wife etc. and the condition is such that he might have to leave the job/resign either due to unable to report to work or relocate to another city etc in extreme condition wherein he wont be coming to office for another few days. In such situation can he resign from his personal mailid yahoo/gmail etc??? Or does he need to come down to office and then resign etc.

Resignation part is next whether if needs to buyback/pay or serve the period it totally on the negotiation.

you have to do it from professional id not personal.
You can also resign if you send a hard copy of resignation letter to the HR

If the mail from the personal email ID was acknowledged, then it can be considered a valid proof,
however the smart thing to do would be to send a physical letter via registered post with acknowledgement due.
Most companies would require physical signatures on various forms to indicate the completion of paperwork and acknowledgement of handing over official assets like ID card, phone , laptop etc
this can also be done via post or courier if the company is willing to help.

Using a resignation mail would not serve as complete experience documentation as it cannot be considered a experience letter, it would not confirm if the employee has settled all dues with the company, and would be in even more trouble during background verification.

If we resign and on the last day of the notice period even if the co. hasn't yet accepted our resignation can we still leave the co.?? How mandatory is our bosses/cos. acceptance??
Acceptance is not Mandatory, but to be on safe side acceptance is preferred for smooth exit process.

One of my experienced friends said that once we resign, the resignation starts from that very day irrespective of the fact whether the co. accepts it or not.

True, resignation clock start ticking the moment email is sent, if the employee doesn't receive a reply within 24-hours politely saying "not accepted" and ask for a discussion, its generally an acceptance.
Very few managers are bold enough to take this via email, generally they will call for verbal which is completely off-the-records.

We should weekly follow the same email trail asking for the acceptance until the last day when we shall clearly state that I'm handing over my duties (whatever documents etc. stuff) and consider today as my last day as per co. official notice period.
Even if the co doesn't accept our resignation and doesn't issue experience letter, using the resignation mail and all the trail followup we can very well convince the other co for our new job.

Need clarifications.
Given the resignation is sent to more than one people, and in general its suppose to be sent to immediate manager & HR department.
It's their job to give you clarity. Once you resigned, they cant do anything. They are bound to give you all required experience letter/ final settlement / salary certificates. If they try to create trouble you can approach law. jago employee jago!!

Weekly follow - Hell NO !!

Technically, once resignation is tendered, you should go and talk to your manager ASAP on these lines :
  1. What you have do for your smooth exit.
  2. Who is the next person filling your position -
  3. based on #2 make a KT plan, super high level, with dates. remember you don't want to hamper the business plus you have to prepare yourself for next job, a balance is needed on what you commit.
  4. Take verbal agreement on everything, plus when discussion over send a mail outlining the topic discussed.
1 week before reliving date, talk to your manager/hr again outlining transfer of your responsibilities, to ensure you are sailing smooth.

Hope this make sense :)

Last edited:
Now this makes sense. I have resigned and on the very day spoken to my immediate reporting manager. He is ok with it but our IT director is the one who gives green signal or whatever.
Next day I personally spoke with HR she too is ok to release me if my manager and director is ok.

Actually my co. has 60 days notice and I have asked them for 30 days on medical grounds owing to my parents health and other family issues.

So now the ball is juggling between 30-60 days notice.

Wherein I have clearly mentioned in the mail that even 30 days will be TOO much for me as I even need to take looong medical leaves as per situation. This will only extend the notice period.

Back